«chapter one: a new team»

Start from the beginning

  "Like they did with Plasmus and his sister." Jefferson agrees with her.

  "The Princess must be rescued from these Shadows!" She says causing M'gann to look at me in concern. She knows what that would mean, they all do.

  "Yes, we must rescue her now!" Brion says forcefully.

  I shake my head at this and put my hands up, "Brion, I want you to literally chill." I say slowly so he can hopefully get this through his thick skull and not burn a hole through the ground. " We don't know conclusively that this was Tara, or even that it was someone with a "geo-force" power."

  Brion and I have had a rocky relationship so far-no puns intended-and I would prefer it if he would just take my word on this topic for once.

"A telekinetic could have moved that boulder." M'gann supplies, trying to help me calm them down but also giving me another solution to this. Maybe it isn't Tara and we don't need to see the Shadows.

  "Or someone with superstrength could have chucked it."  Conner points out.

  I hope that's the case, it would make everything a lot less complicated.

  Brion doesn't seem to like our answers very much though as he narrows his eyes at me, "Do you know where the Shadows are or not?"

  I let out a sigh, "They're based on Infinity Island, but that doesn't guarantee Tara's with them." My fists clench slightly as I think about the place, pulling up a picture of the island on my computer, and I don't miss Artemis' eyes flickering to them, reminding me to calm down.

  "There's one way to find out." Brion bites back making me glare at him.

  "The League of Shadows is run by Ra's al Ghul, the Demon's Head," I get out, switching my screen to a picture of the man, glaring at him, "a member of the Light and one of the most dangerous men on the planet." I spit out, anger seeping in my tone, " We are not facing al Ghul and all his Shadows without more intel and a solid plan." I leave out the part where we aren't going to fight him at all. Not after everything. I can see Conner, M'gann and Artemis's nervous and concerned glances but I keep my eyes on Brion. "Brion, don't make me sorry I told you about this."

  He studies my expression and must finally see how this is one thing he shouldn't challenging me on. He sighs begrudgingly, "Fine. We'll play it your way." He crosses his arms and looks back to the bio-ship, "In the meantime, I suppose I should explore my new living quarters."

  "Forager would explore, too." Forager says clicking his tongue as he, Halo and Brion walk away.

"Prince Brion, Halo, please take care of--"

  "Uh, they're gone, Doctor." Jefferson says rubbing his neck.

  "Ah, I see." Dr. Jace mutters, not bothering to hide her disappointment, "Jefferson, you'll keep me apprised?"

  "Of course, Helga. I promise." Jefferson mutters back as we start going inside to talk more about the situation.

  Artemis, M'gann and Conner look at me, finally catching my gaze.

  "The Shadows?" Artemis mutters, her eyes searching mine.

  "Worried you are going to see your sister?" I change the subject, facing forward as we walk inside.