TP&TW Part 2

Hiro and the Boy began to walk; the Boy surreptitiously stole admiring, awe filled glances at the Phoenix as they made their way into the Village. Upon arrival they were surprised to find the Village desolate. Hiro elegantly tilted his head at the Boy in enquiry. The Boy pointed across the courtyard, past an old well located in the centre, to a large building, “They must be consulting with the Holy Man”.

The Boy led the way to a building that had no place in this Village, grand and imposing, decadently styled in stark contrast to the modesty of every other structure. The building the Boy approached was like the red, raw puncture marks on his own arm. It looked grotesque, out of place, shocking in its vivid juxtaposition with its environment.

 Yet it was indeed alive with the sound of numerous raised voices, some admonishing, some wailing and some screaming in frustration. The Boy looked at Hiro pleadingly, “You must enter alone,” said the Phoenix, not unkindly, a strangled sob left the Boy’s mouth, “Do not be afraid, I am here.”

The Boy entered the building and immediately the cacophony of noise collapsed. There was a second of peace then a frightful tsunami of contempt smashed into the Boy. One woman foaming at the mouth with vitriol screamed “Ghost”, another hysterically asserted that the Boy was cursed; an old man with bloodshot eyes rolling back in his head raised a crooked, pointed finger and wailed, “Rats, he eats rats”.

The Boy tried to speak, but terror consumed him. His mouth hung open but no sound could be heard. An unexpected hush fell over the baying crowd of Villagers; an older man began a slow calculated walk towards the Boy.

As the building was to the Village, this man was to the Villagers. They wore clothing in various shades of grey and brown, this man wore sumptuous robes of blue and silver. Their hands were bare; his hands were resplendent with bands of gold. “Saru Mi.” The Villagers whispered reverently, and so it was, Saru Mi, the Holy Man.

His reputation as a wise, fair man relaxed the Boy, speech finally began to form within his mouth. However, before he managed to utter a single word, Saru Mi raised his gold encrusted hand and the hush became an absolute silence.

 “The Spirits have brought an unholy plague on our fair Village, who among us has not felt its cruel, cold grasp?  Stealing our brothers and sisters in the dead of night, for days I have prayed for an answer and indeed my prayer has been answered. In my dreams I have seen a pale, ghostly apparition, disturbing my slumber with its red eyed stare. And now before me, he has taken form, the same ghost, here at our mercy. But for whom or to what shall we show mercy?

For us and the fate of our treasured Village or to the menace that has wreaked evil and destruction? I ask you my beloved people, can sin vanquish sin? If we rid ourselves of an aberration of nature surely the Spirits will show us mercy and our suffering will be no more.”

The earth stood still as these words travelled from the Villagers’ ears to their hearts. The Boy stole a glance at the open door behind him and observing a flash of orange he began to run with all of his might towards it. As he ran, he felt the air beside him disturbed as rocks flew past his body. One rock caught him on the back of his head and he felt the ground leave his feet.