18: Tensions

Alison was mad.

"You said it wouldn't be this bad," she whined to her father as she played with her oatmeal.

"I said you would have to take Math, English, and an elective," he said as he placed a cup of orange juice in front of her.

They were sitting in the guest house. Alison had grudgingly let him in at seven in the morning and her father was sitting across from her intently watching to make sure she ate something.

"You didn't say I had to take Trigonometry," she grumbled. "I already got an A in Calculus, why should I have to take a class easier than that?"

Mr. Hart sighed. "I asked if you could take something else, but you need another math class to stay on track to graduate. It's the only one they offer in the summer."

Alison frowned. "Is dropping out an option?"

Her father gave her a disapproving look. "If you would rather I send you to live with your mother then fine."

Alison rolled her eyes at him. "Like you could even reach her."

Mr. Hart was sympathetic. He too had tried reaching out to his ex-wife but she seemed to have little interest in answering her ex-husband's calls.

"Have you called her?" he asked. "The least you could do is try to reach out."

Alison stood up abruptly. "Don't," she said icily.

"Alison," he sighed.

She glared at him and stormed upstairs. She stayed up there until she heard her father sigh again and leave the guest house. Only then did she change into some jeans and a hoodie. It was not the most appropriate outfit for summer but Alison didn't care. She'd rather not deal with the staring today.

***

Brady did not want to go to school. He hated the idea and put it in writing that he would rather drop out than go today but his father simply ripped up the note and drove him anyway.

He was glaring at his father the entire time. Why should Brady go to school? Why should he have to put up with the looks, the stares, the pointing. It wasn't fair. None of it was.

They arrived at the school and Mr. Carson parked the car.

"Look," he said, turning to his son. "I know this isn't ideal, I know you'd rather be anywhere but here."

Brady looked at him as if to say, duh! Why would he want to be here?

His father picked up on that.

"I'm sorry," Mr. Carson apologized. "I wish I could let you stay home but your mom, Dr. Potter, and I all agree that this will be good for you."

Brady let out an annoyed breath and opened the car door.

"I'll pick you up at twelve," he called after his son.

Brady looked down at his schedule. First, he had English, then Home Ec, and then Math. He rolled his eyes. At least he could copy Alison's work in Math. He spotted her coming out of Kate's car a few feet away.

He raised an eyebrow at her.

"What?" she asked.

He shot a look at Kate's receding car as she pulled away.

Alison shrugged. "She offered to drive me, besides I'd rather not be with my dad right now."

Brady related to that.

"I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I'd rather be at school than at home," Alison mumbled as they walked inside.

He glanced over at her and she sighed.