2: Runner's High

"Should we join the rest of the gang?" Max asked, forcing himself to finally separate himself from Alison.

Max knew if they spent any more time alone, he wouldn't be able to resist her. That was the kind of effect a girl like Alison had on people.

She glanced back at the party. Everyone was gathered around the bonfire now. Alison pointed to the log that Julia and Brady were sitting on. A sudden chill blew through that caused both of them to shiver. Which was odd for a summer evening.

"Who decided to throw the party at this hellhole anyway?" Max muttered as he ran his hands over his arms to warm himself up.

"Come on," she said, a smile tugging at her lips, as she began walking towards them.

Max followed after and walked close to her. They approached their friends who greeted them with a nod. He sat down next to Brady who grinned at him.

"I'm guessing you two are good?" he asked.

"For now," Max said back, although he was unsure how long the peace would last.

Alison and Max were well aware of just how many people had bets on when they would break up. Sometimes they would be in bed together and then one of them would get a text asking if it was true the two had ended things. When they were both in good moods they would laugh about it.

The reality was that it was no surprise to hear Alison and Max argue one morning but also be snuggled up in each other's arms that very same night too.

That was the thing about a relationship as contentious as theirs. No fight stung deep enough that their affection for each other couldn't resolve.

Within an hour, all four of them had knocked back at least two or three drinks and were all starting to feel the effects of the alcohol.

Max looked over on his other side at Alison. Julia was telling her about some ballet thing. She was staring at the bonfire as Julia spoke to her. It was pretty clear to Max that Alison was not listening but Julia did not seem to notice. Julia only stopped talking when Hailey came over.

Hailey Marin was on the cheer squad and alongside a vain personality, she was often seen with whatever boy suited her interests that month. She did not like Alison. Unbeknownst to any of them until tonight. So no one thought much of it when she sat on a chair across from Alison.

"Oh Ali," Hailey said, feigning sincerity. "I'm so sorry, how's your mom?" she asked. "What a horrible thing to go through."

Max, Brady, and Julia all looked at Alison with confused expressions. All three of them were in the dark about what Hailey was talking about. Hailey had also spoken rather loudly and most people nearby were now listening. Alison glared at Hailey.

"Who told you?" she demanded.

Hailey shrugged as she stood up and came close to Alison. "I hear things," she said. "Come on, is it true that your dad is leaving your mom for a woman who is leaving her husband as well?"

Max didn't even try to stop his girlfriend. He only watched as Alison stood up and got in Hailey's face.

"Tell me Hailey, how does it feel to have such a boring and miserable life that you feel the need to gossip about a bunch of grown ups?" she asked angrily. "At least my parents didn't have to bribe a guy to take their daughter to the fall dance."

Hailey glared at her and Julia nervously tugged on the end of Alison's shirt but Alison ignored her. She had always had quite the temperament.

"At least my dad has more self-respect than to cheat on his wife and get his mistress pregnant."