𝟎𝟐. 𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞

CHAPTER TWO—BONFIRE
[EMMY'S PERSPECTIVE]

THE NEW GLADER stood with gally and helped him tie sticks together. she wasn't fond of the boy and he didn't like her very much either. she watched as she saw an unfamiliar boy run out from the maze. his hair was blowing in the wind. just like the rest of the boys, he was surprised to see her.

before approaching the girl, he hydrated by drinking a bottle of water. when he began walking up to her, her eyes slowly looked back to the sticks she was tying together.

"hey, is she the new greenie?" he asked gally and the blonde girl overheard his question and her eyes shifted back to the boy for a second.

"um, yeah." gally mumbled and tapped her shoulder, causing her to look over at him. "hey, greenie, this is minho. he's the keeper of the runners." he awkwardly introduced the two.

"hey, shank, you got your name back yet?" minho wondered and she shook her head and he extended his hand and the girl shook it and smiled. "it'll come back to you soon and i better be the first one you tell."

a grin tugged at her lips when she heard the minho's words and she finished tying the sticks and threw them at gally, making them untie.

"oh shit, sorry." she grabbed the sticks again but gally took them out her hands. "what? i make one mistake and you're pissed? that's not fair." her british accent had become more noticeable the more she spoke.

"you have the funny accent. like newt." he pointed out and she shrugged. "now leave me alone."

she listened and wondered off and headed towards the opening she dashed for earlier today. it felt like it had been weeks since then, but it had been no less than six hours. as she looked into the maze something clicked in her mind.

"emmy." she muttered, finally remembering her name. she ran over to minho and lightly pushed him to get his attention.

"what do you want, greenie?" he rubbed his eyes, he was clearly tired.

"my name." she began and his tiredness almost completely slipped away as he engaged in the conversation. "my name is emmy."

with no amount of hesitation minho grabbed her wrist and pulled it up in the air, grabbing everyone's attention by whistling.

"emmy!" he cheered and everyone got the hint, and stopped what they were doing to clap. "welcome home, emmy." he smiled whilst emphasising her name.

a smile washed over her face as she heard a noise coming from the entrance that led to the maze. it began to close and emmy backed away and realised all of the doors were closing.

"what's happening?" she asked minho.

"it's just the doors closing." he assured her but it didn't help.

"closing? why are they closing?" after having the whole glade and maze explained to her this was the one thing that hadn't been mentioned. "are you all seriously okay with this?" she was now talking to all the gladers around her who had gathered to help minho calm her down.

emmy walked away from them and towards the doors. they sealed shut and everything seemed smaller to her. she was trapped, fully trapped. she wasn't seeing the mesmerising glade like before, she was seeing a prison.