Chapter Two

The young soldier raised his hands, flagging them in signal for the truck to proceed forward. Its cargo was extremely valuable. Somewhere in its hold, Beta-1 was snugly packed inside, waiting to be placed in the new lab.

About a week ago Silas announced that the email from the late Dr. Marsden was traced back to the old lab, good and bad news. They knew about his murder now and we're currently investigating, but they didn't know that Agent Fowler was operating in his own unit to uncover the missing project. They all just assumed that they wouldn't be found. Deep in his gut, Jake knew they were coming and he didn't know why everyone was taking it so lightly

He had been trying to get in contact with Agent Fowler since the incident in the office. He knew that he would be killed for trying to search for a source of contact on M.E.C.H. computers. All agents on his level of clearance were prohibited from any contact with the outside world. No computers, no letters. Nothing.

Jake was ripped from his thoughts when the truck's horn blared throughout the new warehouse. A bead of sweat was gathering on his temple. He nodded apologetically and guided the vehicle once again. The driver frowned accusingly and continued forward. Walking backward and waving your hands was more tiring than one would think after a few hours. He could feel it in his shoulders and his back, not to mention the perspiration soaked in his black garment. One of his loose curls flopped down on his forehead and stuck there. While waving, walking and trying to remove his stray lock he managed to misdirect the truck and knock over cratefuls of untested formula.

As each crate crashed to the ground and canisters of yellow liquid fell and shattered on the concrete, Jake's expression grew more and more pained. He would have hell to pay. Possibly hell and back three times. He ran his fingers through his curled hair and clutched his skull, stuttering apologies.

"Oh god- I-I'm sorry just don't... don't tell Silas- screw it my days are definitely numbered-"

He was cut off by a lower ranking member shoving him out of the way and fixing to clean up the spilled liquid crawling across the floor. He shrugged helplessly and looked around to see everyone's displeased face, from the warehouse workers to the scientists struggling to get the formula spill under control.

"Sorry, everyone. I'll just... yeah..." Jake's shoulders melted as he heard the loud and shaking thuds of peds. He slowly looked over his shoulder to see Silas looking very, very angry. "Oh... Sir, I, uh... Sorry," he squeaked.

Silas raged within but the only indication to the outside world that he was furious was his single twitching optic. The warehouse was completely silent. The truck driver even turned off the engine. They all waited with increasing tension. Then, the unexpected happened.

Silas smiled. "Well, we were all young once. How old are you?"

"22, sir."

"Ah, a prime age, wouldn't you say?" There was a strange emphasis on the word prime. Everyone here knew about the autobots and decepticons. They were the reason Beta-1 was even created. M.E.C.H.'s foundation was the capture and experimentation of cybertronians. "Anyway, I'm sure it was an accident," Silas concluded. "I hope this is the first and last mistake like this you make, young man. I was proud of your work with Dr. Marsden. Do not disappoint me."

Jake let out a number of shaky breaths and swallowed his nerves as Silas retreated farther down the warehouse, barking orders in his usual fashion. That encounter was not a normal occurrence. He was so sure that he was going to be obliterated into tiny specks. Anything that stood in the way of Silas's project was always terminated, but not him. His bones still rattled and he felt a wave of guilt pass over him as he was reminded of his cruel deed. He was the soldier who killed Dr. Marsden. In Silas's eye, that was something to be rewarded.