-Chapter 27-

I collapse onto the bed, expecting Kane to do the same. Instead, he takes the chair nestled off in the corner, grabbing a blanket off of the chest sitting at the end of the bed.

It's completely silent as Kane settles in, pulling the blanket up over his chest, moving his shoulders in an attempt to get comfortable.

There's a part of me that wants to ask him to come join me, to reassure him, but I know he still needs time. Whatever took place in those Cells is something that has stuck with them. He knows now who I really am. It was made clear at the execution, but we've had no time to process that.

I try to keep my mind from dwelling. What good will it do?

Ever since meeting Kane, there was a sense that he and his followers were attempting an uphill fight, the top of the hill shrouded by clouds, unclear if it was even reachable. Finally, there's a glimpse at the top. It's there, it's achievable. But the costs are so high. And the people, how many are willing to fight alongside us? What makes now different?

Precious time meant for sleep goes by unused. Neither Kane or I speak, but I know even without looking that he's still awake, that his mind is mulling over everything too. There was no time for such thoughts before, but now in the stillness, it's all that's there.

A/N~ Hello Year Movement! I know this is a significantly shorter chapter, but I will be sure to be on top of my game in posting the next one. I need to set myself reminders because I keep forgetting to publish the drafts I have!

Since this is a shorter chapter, I don't really have any questions, but if you have any for me or your fellow readers, feel free to comment those! I love hearing everyone's thoughts as they read.

Until next time,

- Sarah