Chapter 3

August 2021 - Portland, Oregon, USA

The day of my debut for Lyon had finally come. It was the WICC in Portland, and we were against current Champions league winners Barcelona. The way the competition worked was that we would play two matches, one against Barça, and then if we lost, we would play for third place, against whoever lost between the Portland Thorns and the Houston Dash, and if we won, we would play the final, against the winner of their match. The NWSL teams were midway through their season though, so would be harder competitors than usual for us, as they were fitter and had been playing as a team for longer, whereas we were just barely starting our preseason.

Our match against Barça was extremely important, in order for us to understand what we would be getting from the Champion's league winners this season. They disrupted our Champions of Europe winning streak, and the team was hungry for a win. I didn't start the match, as our aim against Barça was to hopefully score early, and then bring me and Damaris in as defensive presences, in order to keep the lead until the end. In the midfield started Daan, Amel Majri, and Amandine Henry, all amazing, but quite attacking players. Barça struck first, scoring a goal in the 9th minute from one of their strikers Caldentey, but we were quick to respond, with Amel scoring in the 20th. We quickly scored again through Amandine, keeping a lead until half time.

Mariona however scored another goal around the 62nd minute, starting from a mistake from Daan. I was subbed on for her, but when she was coming off, she didn't even look at me, and completely ignored the hands I had raised for a high five. I brushed it aside and instead focused on the game. It was all square when we approached the last five minutes, and I was dreading having to go to penalties. We had been passing the ball around the back, when Wendie decided to pass to me in the centre. It was unexpected, I wasn't necessarily free, but I had made the run forward to retrieve the ball. Their midfield had been caught off guard, and I was on a quick break. I was desperately looking around for someone to pass to, but no one was free, so I decided to take the shot myself from just outside the 18 yard box. I didn't expect to score, and I didn't, with the powerful strike being saved by their goalkeeper Paños, but she let go of it and Melvine Malard was easily able to finish it off. It was a massive relief, as knowing we had this advantage with little time left would hopefully send us to the next round.

We finished the game with a 3-2 win, and everyone was extremely happy to have beaten Barça. They were one of our biggest competitors within Europe, and despite it being preseason, having the win felt good. It was now time to look forward, for the next match against Portland, who won their match against Houston on penalty kicks.

I was rooming with Ellie, and she and I decided to go for a coffee the next morning before our training session. She had played for the Portland Thorns before her time at Lyon, so she knew all the best places in Oregon. Damaris decided to come along, and she had asked Daan to come, but with the knowledge that I was going, promptly declined.

"Why do you think she hates me so much?" I asked them, as we were walking down the street to Ellie's favourite coffee shop.

"I don't think she hates you that much." Damaris responded, shrugging her shoulders.

"Of course she does." Damaris and Ellie exchange glances as I say this and I frown, "What is it you guys aren't telling me?"

"She'll kill us." Ellie warns, but Damaris just shakes her head and says, "She doesn't hate you, she definitely doesn't like you very much, and that's obvious. She also doesn't know why you snapped at her the other day, and I don't know the full story but Ellie says that you weren't in the wrong. She's also extremely stubborn, but extremely understanding if you talk to her."

"I try to speak to her!" I explain, before groaning, "She just refuses to listen and walks away."

We each ordered americanos, as that's what Ellie recommended, as well as this delicious chocolate banana bread, cut into the shapes of the first letters of our names.