"Don't say that!" She hissed, tears falling from her cheeks as she hovered over me. "I didn't think you were going to wake up this time," She gasped, hugging me tightly.
"Well, I'm here." I winced at the pain that was overwhelming my entire body. "Spencer..." I mumbled as she pulled away.

"Your dad uh..." She avoided my eyes, fumbling with her fingers as she awkwardly stood by the side of my bed. "Your dad is uh... with him... now."
"With him?" I echoed with a confused expression, my hands absentmindedly going to my bump.

"What...?" I pulled myself forward and glanced at my stomach; seeing the sheets over my bump but somehow feeling... different. "Beth, what?!" I looked at her and then back to my stomach before back to Beth again. 

"Our bump... My baby... The... The baby... Where?!" She looked to the ceiling in desperation as more tears fell from her eyes. "Where is she? Where's my baby?!"

"I'm so sorry Melanie..." Beth's voice was hardly audible as she looked back at me, her tears flowing faster. "I was hoping your dad would've had him by now and he would've told you himself but..."

"A-a-are they with her?!" I asked desperately, tears rolling down my cheeks. "Please tell me she's okay Beth?" I pleaded desperately and Beth took my hand into the both of her own, looking at me sadly and apologetically, shaking her head as she looked down at her hands before back to my eyes to say,

"I'm so sorry Mel... He didn't make it." I choked a sob and covered my mouth with my free hand hooked to the drip.

"No!" I sobbed.
"I'm so sorry... You miscarried due to the impact. Your baby boy didn't make it."

The Technical Analyst

We were all waiting in the relative's room across the hall when we heard it.

Horrific screaming and sobbing of complete and utter devastation and heartbreak; and that made us all fall apart all over again.

We'd been here for the past thirty-six hours. Forty hours ago Melanie was brought into the hospital for emergency surgery to save the baby. After an emergency section and a blood transfusion, sepsis had set in. The baby had no chance of survival, and Melanie was only alive because of a secondary blood transfusion.

At the same time, Caitlyn had gone into labour and by now had had a baby girl. It was only she and her mother in the delivery room despite the fact Melanie had been her birthing partner.

Spencer had paced the hall outside the theatre, so as soon as Melanie was wheeled out along with the surgeons with no incubator behind her; he knew. He'd been tormenting himself with statistics and probabilities. 

So much so Aaron had yelled and they'd argued and he'd been forced to wait in the relative's room alongside Beth and the others. 

Morgan was the only one who waited with Spencer, and even then he was completely silent; all of us too shocked and too worried to utter a word.

They'd told Spencer in the middle of the corridor that they'd had to surgically remove the child after establishing it hadn't survived the impact. 

We heard Spencer's yells and sobs from the end of the hall, and when we'd rushed out, we'd found him on the floor in the middle of the corridor wrapped in Morgan's arms as he thrashed around angrily; sobbing.

Tears were dripping from Morgan's chin; and when he uttered those dreadful words,
"The baby didn't make it." We all fell apart.

"Is Melanie okay?" I choked and he nodded his head, relief overwhelming me, halting my terror before I realised that all of this preparation; the labour books, the pregnancy manuals, the parenting guides, the maternity clothes, the athlete-slash-self-defence-training, the engagement, the persistency of moving house... All of it... Was ruined.