"How, exactly?" My voice was quiet, but I watched Thiago crouch in front of the chair, so we were somewhat eye level. 

"Well, it tells us you were in the northern forests, they're the only ones with snow right now, and we can start calling more villages up north." Thiago explained slowly, like he was afraid of me snapping, or bolting away. 

I nodded once, fiddling with my tattered gloves. North, I was from the northern forests. It was a start, Thiago was right, but it was still a lot of area to cover, right? How big was this place? Was I on an island, or a country, or a giant mass of land? 

Where was I?

Thiago shifted his feet. "I've called in a Private Investigator, of sorts. She'll be able to figure out where you're from."

I leaned back slightly. "An investigator?"

"Yeah," Thiago stood up, brushing his knees, fidgeting like he wasn't used to getting on his knees for someone. He leaned against his cluttered desk instead. "She's the best I know at returning the lost to found. She's been in the industry for a few years, but she'll be able to help us, help you, get home." 

I nodded once. "Right." 

Thiago cocked his head to the side. "You speak pretty well, you're not overwhelmed by, like, the idea of a PI, and you know your cardinal directions." 

I stared him down. "I don't remember anything." 

"You remember basic fundamentals of society and our world." Thiago ran his large hands through his tumbling hair, the locks brushed over his shoulders. "I'm wondering how much you subconsciously remember of your life." 

I twisted a stray strand of wool across my fingers. "I...I don't remember." The inner walls stayed frozen in place. No secrets, don't say anything, don't tell anyone anything, even when I do remember. There was more to me than a comfort in the cold, I knew that, but I didn't know anything more than the present right now. 

Thiago shrugged. "While we're waiting for my PI, how about I just say some words and see if they are familiar to you or not?"

I paused. This was okay, this wasn't provoking or prodding my walls. "Okay."

"Um," Thiago paused. "Sunshine?"

My fingers brushed the gloves, the burning warmth thanks to the itchy fabric. "Yes," I said softly, it was a burning quiet across my skin, I knew that, but I didn't know from where.

"Icicles?" I didn't realise I was smiling until Thiago pointed at my face. "That's definitely familiar."

"Yes," I admitted, and my smile slowly fell. "But I don't know why."

"It's still a start." Thiago rubbed his hands together before crossing his arms. "How about, like, supernatural?"

A chill ran down my spine. "Super...natural?"

"Yeah," Thiago cocked his head to the side. "Is that familiar to you?"

Careful. Whatever was behind my frozen walls now alert, whatever I was before the woods was now wide-eyed and watching carefully the man in front of me - the man...I frowned at him. There was more to this large man, his soul was as wild as his hair, the kindness in his eyes was a façade for his alert, concerned mind. It had happened before, someone knowing but not knowing who they were, he was thinking back to that night, when his soul flared for the first time, and he smelled-

"Ma'am?" Thiago interrupted. 

I flinched, looking away, and ripped off my gloves, embracing the chill that swamped through my body and numbed my mind. Careful. Careful. Careful. I was breathing quickly, too quickly, but Thiago was leaning forward like he wanted to hold my hand in comfort.