37: locked away ☆

"Don't make me leave you."

--☆--☆--☆--

Rafe could feel relief and joy flood him the second his arms went around Emerson. Nothing brought him greater joy than having her in his arms. Sarah was right, he'd never let her go now. For him Emerson was always the missing piece, the key to his happiness and now he had her back.

Emerson, however, didn't feel the same way Rafe did. All she thought about was how tight his grip was and how hard it was for her to not flinch away from his touch. She forced herself to focus, to look around the room for the keys to the truck, but instead all she could think about was JJ. How she wished she was in JJ's arms instead of Rafe's. How she wished she listened to him and didn't go inside the house, but now it was too late and she was stuck.

"I missed you," Rafe told her, pressing a light kiss to the top of her head. He took in a deep breath, smelling her hair.

"I wanted to come earlier... but I-"

"You were scared?" Rafe asked her, feeling Emerson's head nod against his chest. He smelled her again, but she didn't smell the way she usually did. Her skin was dirty and her hair wasn't brushed, this wasn't the Emerson he wanted. He wanted Emerson Rhodes, kook princess. "You should shower."

"Shower?" Emerson asked, pulling her head back in confusion.

"I can get you new clothes," Rafe told her.

"Rafe," Emerson took his hand in hers, distracting him.

He looked right into her eyes, and she looked right into his. Rafe brought his hand to Emerson's cheek, and she closed her eyes for a second. She forced herself to melt into his touch, reminding herself to stick to the mission. She hadn't found the keys yet, and Rafe didn't seem to suspect any ulterior motives, or at least not yet. Emerson took a step away from Rafe and looked around his room.

"I haven't been in here in a while," Emerson spoke quietly as she continued to take in the room, when in reality she was searching for the keys.

"Not much has changed," Rafe told her.

Emerson laughed quietly, because Rafe was wrong. The room had changed, it changed a lot actually. "You used to have trophies on the dresser, and a basketball hoop on the door to the bathroom. And if I remember correctly there was a 'Saturdays are for the boys' flag on that wall," She said pointing to the wall above Rafe's bed. She looked down at the bed, then she saw them, the keys.