19: scheduled execution ☆

"I don't deserve your forgiveness."

--☆--☆--☆--

"This was a terrible idea. I shouldn't be here," Emerson said as she and Nick pulled up in front of the courthouse. From the car they could see everyone walking in, there were kooks and pogues all of them wanting to see what would happen to John B.

Emerson had allowed Nick to come with her to the courthouse even though they were feeling extremely awkward around each other. They were trying to move past Nick's confession, at least Emerson was trying to move past it. Nick was trying to prove to her that he wasn't going anywhere.

"Do you want to leave?" Nick asked her from his spot in the driver's seat of his car.

"No," Emerson shook her head, "No, I have to go in," She replied then unbuckled her seatbelt. 

The two kooks got out of the car and started walking towards the courthouse. Nick stepped forward putting his hand in Emerson's. "Just friends, I remember," He told her making her smile slightly as they continued to walk.

What Emerson didn't realize was that the second she got out of the car there was a pair of eyes following her every move. There were many people it could be, and she thought she'd figure out who it was but she never will.

JJ turned around his eyes landing on the Rhodes girl immediately. She looked up a couple seconds later, her eyes meeting his. He looked down, noticing that she was holding hands with her ex boyfriend. JJ could feel his anger building up inside him, but this is what he wanted, wasn't it? Nick was a good guy, he was the better guy, she deserved someone like him.

A small pang of guilt ran through the Rhodes girl in this moment, especially when she pulled her hand away from Nick. He tried to act like it didn't bother him, but it did. Emerson knew she was hurting him and she hated it, he deserved better than to be her distraction. Especially since the guy she wanted was standing only three feet away from her.

"Emerson," A voice made her turn away from JJ and she saw her mother and father moving to sit beside Ward and Rose Cameron. It was at that moment that Emerson realized the courtroom was split down the middle, kooks on one side, pogues on the other.

"Em," Now Sarah was trying to get her attention, making her look in the direction of the pogues.

The Rhodes girl needed to make a decision, but no matter what she chose there would be consequences. Her eyes shifted from the pogues to kooks then eventually back to the pogues. She felt like everyone was watching her, waiting for her to make a choice.