welcome

- Welcome, Y/N. Please feel at home

The interior of the house was absolutely regular, nothing too exceptional. A quaint melody of the grandfather clock, however, supplemented sophistication to the place. Afton led me inside, while little Elizabeth followed, grabbing her father's hand.

Afton kids seem lonely.

I was led to the dining area. Not willing to wait any longer, Michael got on his seat behind the wooden table and demanded food. William helped his daughter get on a chair, asking Micheal if he'd ever shut up.

Ten out of ten on parenting, Mr. Afton.

Then we heard a muted rustle from the hallway. In a moment, a woman peered inside the kitchen.

- Goodbye, Mr. Afton. Bye, kids!

- Thank you and goodbye, Mrs. Perez, - the head of the family nodded in her direction, followed by Michael and Elizabeth saying their goodbyes.

The main door creaked, leaving silence behind.

- Can I help you with anything? - I asked politely, still standing.

- There is no need, darling, - the man turned to the cabinets, searching for something, - go take a seat.

The sight of this man ravaging his kitchen in attempts to warm the dinner was amusing, something about it even seemed nice. Can he cook? I bet he can. It would be useful, living with three kids. I was hoping that the dinner at least won't contain of carton pizza from Fredbear's.

As the dishes were served, Mike's moodiness faded. I was afraid that eating with them would be awkward, but soon the boy started rambling about his day at school. Although his father seemed to be more fascintaed by his marks, annoying Michael. Unnoticably for myself, I got into the dialogue, feeling comfortable. Keeping the conversation didn't require much of an effort, especially when Lizzie bragged about her new drawings.

- Look what I've done while daddy was at work, - she handed me an A4 paper with her fragile fingers, - Mrs. Perez said it's good!

- Hm, - I took the paper, gazing at the drawing with a purposefully puzzled look; there was a cute cat, painted surprisingly neatly with orange and yellow crayons , - I remember drawing something similar at your age. I used to adore cats, you know? Is it your favourite animal, too?

The girl nodded heatedly.

- You have a talent, Elizabeth. Your work is amazing, - I gave the drawing back with a smile.

- Y/N knows what she's talking about, - William noted between picking up lasagna from his plate with a fork and putting it into his mouth, - she also has a talent.

- Oh really? - the girl almost jumped in excitement, - can you teach me how to draw better, please?

- S-sure, we'll have to finish the food fir-

Not having time to complete the sentence, I got interruped by a harsh howling from the outside, immediately looking in the direction of the window. Everyone fell silent.

In a moment, William got from the chair and took a few steps to take a look at what was happening on the streets. The windows were framed with grey curtains, but as they were pushed aside, the darkness of the outside turned out to be quite literal, rather than an exaggeration caused by a shade of the curtains. The man's attentive gaze fell onto us, as he stated bitterly:

- There's a whole snowstorm.

I swallowed anxiously, approaching the window myself. Elizabeth was also willing to take a look, but Michael cut her off by claiming that there was nothing interesting.