comfort

- Daddy, why is the girl eating ice cream? Isn't it cold? Why don't you let me do that?

- She's a big girl, Elizabeth. She can do whatever she wants to, - a familiar voice made me turn around and I discovered William, carrying a little ginger-haired girl. His other hand was busy with heavy-looking bags. In a moment, an older boy appeared from behind, looking puzzled, as if trying to understand what his sister and father were talking about.

- Oh, hi Y/N!

- Good evening, Mr. Afton, - my voice may have given off the confusion which flourised each passing second, but I was happy to see him nonetheless.

- I want to thank you once again for today, Y/N. You were a great help, - the father of the kids beamed, - oh, this is Elizabeth, by the way. She is four.

As I approached them, the girl glanced at me with genuine curiosity in her emerald eyes and her lips curled, saying "Hello".

- Nice to meet you, Elizabeth, - I was unable to hold back a smile: she made my heart melt.

- And this is Michael, - William stepped aside to make some room for the boy who wasn't too eager to be paid attention to, - he is eight.

- I'm almost nine, dad, - the boy noted being annoyed looking at his parent.

- I'm happy to see you, Michael, - younger Afton was also quite adorable, in all honesty.

The man curved his eyebrow and gave him a judging look, as if telling "have you forgotten your manners, young man?", and Michael corrected himself quickly.

- Nice to meet you, Y/N, - a polite smile appeared on his cute face as he looked up on me.

- Your kids are wonderful, Mr. Afton. I've never came across such well-mannered young ladies and gentlemen, - Michael lowered his eyes shyly, flattered.

- Thank you, dear, - as he spoke, the girl in his arms tried to get his attention by pulling his tie, - what's the matter, Lizzie?

- It's cold, - she complained, pressing herself tightly against her father's chest.

- Oh, sorry, sorry, - William apologised and started to head towards his car, but suddenly stopped, facing me with a serious look.

- We could give you a ride home, Y/N. It really is cold, - he stated.

- Only if it's not a bother, - the last thing I would ever want was to make him uncomfortable, but I didn't live close enough to reach the flat before freezing. It wasn't even a secret that I would love his company.

- I wouldn't suggest it otherwise, - then he turned to the kids, - c'mon now, the babysitter will be leaving soon, - he hurried towards the car, followed by Michael, who was clearly annoyed by his fast pace.

Exactly, the second boy. Perhaps he's too young to go shopping with the rest of the family.

I tried to keep up with the boy's speed rather than his father's, it would be a shame the other way. Fortunately, I was able to finish my ice cream before we reached the vehicle. The head of the family placed the bags in the trunk rapidly, took care of Elizabeth, positioning her in a special seat, while Michael got inside. I got in the front seat in a moment. Eventually, Will got inside himself.

- Have you guys fastened the belts?

He was talking mainly to his son, but a short "yeah" escpaed my mouth after Michael rolled his eyes, groaning "yes, father".

We moved. As I explained where I was currently living, the remaining bits of confusion faded. Then I remembered why exactly I was so happy to see him - the pay I promised myself to discuss with him. My lips parted, but the words simply wouldn't come out.