birthday

Once William mentioned his eldest son's birthday coming up, that Friday, to be precise. And it was planned to be held at Fredbear's. Of course it would be at Fredbear's - all the kids adored the place and were almost obsessed, and surely Michael wasn't an exception. I was asked to keep an eye on the children so they won't come near "finger traps", implied springlock suits.

But even on Michael's birthday, his father didn't seem to be intending to attend it. It was perfectly understandable - being a co-owner of the diner carried severe disadvantages, not to mention his taste for engineering. Still, it wouldn't make the situation any better.

This reminded me of my childhood.
I observed the same picture and heard the same words with an astonishing frequency:

"Not now, Y/N. I've got work to do."

I've always been an understanding person. Only later in life I have fully realised how much I craved quality time.

Now I had to look after nasty little devils that boys of an age of nine were.
However, as some time passed, Michael got either tired or bored.

It better be my first guess

- Hey! How's it going, birthday boy?

- It's ok, - he answered indifferently, eyes lowered.

- Is it because your father's absent?

- Um... Kinda, - Michael turned away a little, as if ashamed of his confession.

I smiled sympathetically, gently patting his narrow, but already firm shoulder.

- Then we'll have no problem having him here. I'll be back in a second

Michael's eyes followed me with confusion and a tiny bit of hope sparkling inside of them.

Knocking at the door, I made an effort so the sound was harsh enough to be heard. Wouldn't like the last time to repeat, to be honest.

- Come in, - the voice responded, bringing relief.

- Mr. Afton, I'm sorry to bother you, but could you please make some time for Michael?

William glared at me coldly, making me second-guess all of my life choices.

- Y/N, you know I have work. Mikey is well aware of this, too

- William, - I stepped closer hesitantly, - he doesn't seem to enjoy the party without you.

- I was sad on my birthdays, too, - he noted blankly, continuing writing.

- Then you should realise that you're in a position to change it, - my tone became stern as I've gained more confidence that he won't unalive me brutally, - Am I seriously going to persuade you to spend some time with your son?

- Why would you do that, by the way?

Is it a rethorical question? Oh, this is so, so out of place! This is dirty, Mr. Afton.

- What if I'm familiar with how he feels so I don't want it to happen?

His gaze scanned my frame intensly. I felt uncomfortable in an instant, as if just spilled something too inappropriate for this room.

- I'll go to him as soon as those are filled, - he assured me.

Confused, I stepped out of the office and walked back to see Michael and his friends occupied with games in the arcade. It made me relax.

In just about fifteen minutes, an announcemnt was made. It said "boys and girls of all ages, go take your seats and prepare for the Fredbear's show!" Curtains parted, and two animatronics stepped on the stage. Judging by their smooth movements, there were clearly people inside.