Chapter 11

Stan requested that we talk inside the cathedral, so Claret and Kuya had to drive me there. They stayed inside the car, I went inside – alone. I saw him sitting on the first bench near the altar.

My heart sank upon seeing his face. He wasn’t the same guy that I used to know. He move a little so I can sit. He flashes a smile – that smile, has not changed at all.

“Hi.” Mahinang sabi n’ya, sabay yuko na para bang nahiya.

“Hi.” Honestly, gusto kong umiyak. I don’t know why it saddens ne to see him like this.

“Sorry.” Nakayukong sabi n’ya pa din.

[Sorry? What is he saying sorry for? I’m the one who should say that because I left, I break the contract.] “Sorry san?”

“Sorry kasi, kung hindi dahil sa nangyari.. Ikaw sana yung nasa posisyon ni Miley, you could be the one walking down the isle today and holding Zach’s
hand.”

Napangiti ako. “I was thinking of that too earlier..” Pag amin ko. “But that’s all in the past. No one to blame, I think it’s fate. Hindi talaga kami para sa isa’t-isa ni Zach.”

“Yeah, you might be destined for someone else.”

“I guess I am. I should be.” Napangiti ako, I don’t know. He doesn’t look the same anymore, he has some stubbles growing, his hair is tied back - pero kinikilig ako na magkausap kami. Parang tanga lang. “What are you up to?”

“Hmm.. So never pala kong nakwento ni Claret sa’yo?”

“I chose not to talk about you.”

“Galit ka ba sakin?”

[Am I? Galit nga ba ‘ko?] Nagkibit-balikat ako.

“I understand. Eto, out of showbiz for a few months now. Almost a year na din yata. I’m managing the farm I bought in Batangas.”

“Bakit nagpa-long hair ka?” pagbago ko ng tanong.

“Walang barber sa farm.” Nakayuko n’yang sagot.

“Are you not gonna askabout me? What I’m up to?”

Umiling s’ya. “I know what’s going on with you. Claret’s keeping me updated. Not really everything, but atleast just the things I needed to know."

I wanted to ask him why he wants to know things about me, pero parang nahihiya ako. After all, he’s still Stan.

“I’m happy for you, finally nagkita kayo ng Kuya mo. Nakasama mo ulit ang Mommy mo.”

Tumango ako. It was one of the happiest days of my life when kuya picked me up, knowing that Mama’s looking for me. We kissed and make up. All is well in my life right now – I think. “Kamusta ang Mommy mo?”

He sat straight. “She’s so upset with me. She just didn’t think I’ll let go of myself like this.”

“Ikaw naman kasi, bakit ba pinabayaan mo sarili mo?” Curious kong tanong. Gusto ko syang pagalitan, but I don't think I'm in any position to do so.

“I’m not. Maybe, I just don’t wanna go with the norm.”

“But you look better without those stubble, when you have a clean haircut. I mean, I like it better.” Casual kong pag-amin.

Yumuko muli si Stan, para bang nahiya. “That’s the thing, I’m living somewhere out there, away from the civilization. I don’t have to impress anyone. Yung mga kambing, baka, manok.. They wouldn’t mind if I get a haircut or not. They will not complain.”