Escape

My gaolers seemed to be tired. One of the boys sat down on a bed now. My impression was, that one of them, probably the oldest, made the other ones continue with their meaningless suicide mission, otherwise they would have gone home long ago already. They had sworn to defend the Reichskanzlei, but more and more got aware, that they were walking down a dead end road. A dead end road, which likely ended in their own death. I wondered, how they had been able to hold out here for three months or more?

"Bist du alleine", the one who seemed to be in charge wanted to know, if I was alone?

Would it be an advantage, to say I had a comrade who waited in the underground garage or would it be better to say I had come alone? I decided not to reveal, that I had come with a comrade: "Ich bin alleine."

In response, the leader commanded: "Adolf, du wirst noch mal eine Runde drehen, nicht dass sie gelogen hat."

Apparently, the leader did not believe me and the other boy with a rifle left the room, to patrol the building again, checking for possible comrades of mine. I could just hope, that he would either not find the tow-truck driver or get overpowered by him. If I could overpower the leader, then the others would likely submit. I had to be vigilant. The other one had sat down on a bed and had put my FN High-power right next to him. The 98K, the leader was still pointing at me, was heavy and at some point, his arms would tire out. That's when I could get him. I just had to wait.

"Darf ich hin sitzen", I asked for permission to sit down?

The leader, moved the muzzle of the 98K to one of the beds and I set down on that bed. I leaned against the wall and closed my eyes. I just had to wait, until he tired out. Sporadically, I opened my eyes to check on him.

One of the two without a weapon asked if they could go into their beds as well: "Ich bin müde, können wir uns hinlegen?"

"Spinnst Du. Ihr zwei werdet mit mir Wache schieben", the leader commanded them to keep watch with him.

It did not even take 10 minutes and he had trouble keeping the 98K straight. That moment he commanded his pal to take the FN High-power: "Hermann, nimm die Pistole."

The one called Hermann, picked my pistol up and looked at it, then put the safety pin up and then down again. That made the hammer go back into its base position. Now that was my bad luck again. With that move, the FN High-power was ready to fire. Pulling the trigger required about 8 pounds now instead of 1 pound when it was cocked, but it would fire.

15 minutes later, Hermann, the one with my pistol, had a hard time staying straight and he asked: "Wie lange sollen wir das noch machen?"

"So lange bis der Scharführer kommt."

„Aber der Scharführer war schon seit Wochen nicht mehr da."

„Dann müssen wir Sie eben binden!"

The one called Hermann, had correctly figured out, that they were not able to keep watch over me for much longer and then the leader commanded to bind me. Pinche, that was my bad luck. The one who did not have a weapon had to do it, but he did not know with what means.

"Was soll ich dafür her nehmen?"

„Dann such einen verdammten Strick", the leader said with an angry tone. They were obviously losing their wits. That could work in my favor or against me.

After an hour, Adolf returned and he reported, that he had not found anybody else. So either he did not find the tow-truck driver or that bastard had left without me. I feared for the second. The Engineering Corps was not my best friend after I had taken their August supply of cigarettes. Lesson learned: it was better to have more suitors than less!