3

It took several hours for Techno to wake up, even after the potion. And days before he could stand on his own properly. But he endured sitting against the wall while he could,  keeping watch as Dream dug. It was then that they finally broke through the obsidian. The water would meet the lava outside and create a cobblestone tunnel that proved fairly easy to mine, but there were problems regarding air. Soon, the tunnel had to go sideways so he could breathe, and that meant there would no longer be water to turn to cobblestone. So, they found themselves at a dead end.

"It's deeper than I thought." Technoblade simply said. Dream was sitting next to him as they both stared at the wall.

"We can't get out without help from outside." Dream replies, defeat ringing in his voice.

"Could you use the book? If I died, I could probably manage my way out of here, and I could get help. If you revived me," Technoblade put forth his idea.

"You and I, we're not like the others. I wouldn't call us Gods per day, but we're beyond them. More complex. So if you, or Philza, or Karl or I were to die completely, then that's it. The book works on more simple beings. Mortals, if you will. And ironically, they can live forever. I might not have had the book, but I had a hand in its making since the beginning of time. When it was just George and I, He could die as much as he wanted, and I just fixed it. He's my friend, and I would do anything to keep him around. The world cares for him because it's mine. It puts him to sleep in times of hardship. It brings forth food when he's hungry. He finds diamonds without even trying. The book was supposed to be just for him. Its ability to work on others is just a bonus. And I wouldn't even call it that." Dream says through teary eyes. A man of action finds himself unable of knowing what to do. So Technoblade awkwardly pats his cell mates back.

"There, there?" He attempts to comfort the crying blob.

"Ok, if that doesn't work, then I have a plan. Hide in the tunnel. You control this world, make them think you're dead. Quackity and Sam will flip out of course and come in here. I'll be waiting. Hopefully its just sam butif itd both, I can still manage them. I take out one with the pickaxe and aquire the netherite armor. I'll use the potion if I have to." Techno says. A huge weight is lifted off of dream. A plan. A real one with immediate effects. He simply ignores the obvious dangers of it. Because he's come to trust the piglin hybrid. And call it denial of over optimistic. But, he believed they could do this. Him and his.... friend.

It's been a while since he felt safe, saying that word.

They waited until they were ready, stocking up on potatoes and saving stamina. And then the day came.

At 2 in the morning,  the entire word woke from their beds to a message.

Dream_was_taken has been slayed by Sub2Techno using potato.

Some cried. Some cheered. Some felt numb. But Sam... Sam puked. All this time and effort put into a max security inmate. To lose him. And the book! Who knows what could happen now? He fled from his chaimbers and ran to the lava room. Frantically hitting the switch, he watched the lava lower slowly, and he reset his response point on the bed, ready for a fight. The lava was halfway down, but he could see. The cell was empty. And silent.

Suddenly, a flash of pink, red and white, plowed through the lava. Sam screamed and didn't even have time to brandish his sword. 1 swing. 2 swings. 3 swings. He finally manages to start swinging his fists at the warrior. 5. 6. 7. Sam manages to procure his sword and gets 1 good hit in before the pickaxe goes under his helmet. He sees in full horror as the one once his prisoner laughs at his death. And Sam fades away.

What he doesn't see is how, in the confusion, the bed was demolished. So Sam wakes up with a start in the woods, cold and alone. And far from anyone who could help him or that he could hurt.