Chapter 14: Test Subject 1709

"Come on, join us for a simple game of truth or dare!" Ryan spoke through a forced smile.

I looked at Hunter to see what he was going to say to that.

After all, he was my ride home...

It wasn't really hard to convince Hunter to accompany me. I just told him the truth.

I didn't even have to ask him!

The moment I finished telling him about how I had to go to the party, he told me that he was going to pick me up and drop me home.

He probably just wanted to see Kaylee and knew that he couldn't just go to the party.

But I was still a little confused by how I didn't have to do anything to convince him...

It was weird but who am I to judge when it comes to weird things?!

Hunter sighed as he looked at me with a tired look in his eyes. I could tell that he just wanted to leave this party and I wanted the same thing.

I have had enough of high school parties to last me a lifetime!

It actually just made me realise how I was better suited to stay at home in my jammies with a big bowl of popcorn while binge-watching some series...

I wanted my gummy bears!

And my jelly beans...

That reminded me of how I had bought gummy bears and jelly beans especially for today and now they were probably feeling lonely at home.

Or my brother found them and my babies were already gone...

If that was the case, Austin won't ever be forgiven!

My candies!

"I think we should leave now. My father must be pretty worried. I don't usually stay out this late." I sighed as I turned to face Ryan.

Ha! As if...

The truth was, the moment I told my dad that I was going with Hunter, he almost pushed me out of the house telling me to get my friend back.

He even told me that if I wanted to stay out all night, I was allowed to till Hunter was around.

He didn't have that reaction when Paige and Dan asked him to let me go to the party!

Apparently, Hunter has his stamp of approval... Whatever that means...

Even if he hasn't seen Hunter even once in the past three years!

"Why are you leaving so early? You just got here!" Kaylee shouted over the music when she saw Ryan's face falling at my words.

"Just a few rounds of the game and then you can leave. What do you say?" Ryan smiled hopefully at me. "I'll even drop you home myself, Liv." He added.

"No need. I'll drop her home." Hunter spoke up as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "We have to get burgers and ice cream before going home anyways." He smiled down at me.

Ice cream! Oh god yes!

And there's nothing better than late-night burgers... That too with my old late-night burger buddy!

"You guys can go for burgers tomorrow, can't you? Why don't you two enjoy the party while you still can?" Ryan inquired, his tone taking a hostile turn.

Woah! What happened to him?

"Liv, just eat burgers some other day. Join us for a simple game of truth or dare." Dan sighed as he stepped towards me with a smile.