CHAPTER NINE: NUMBER ONE CRUSH

Start from the beginning

She swoons internally at the emoji and bites her lip. He's so cute.

I did.

[James]: Good. Don't worry about toiletries. My place will have everything you need. Did you get the clothes I sent you?

The incredibly high cut black bikini? You dirty old man 😏

[James]: I'd only ever let YOU call me that 😏 There was more to it than that, by the way.

I also got the dresses, the blouses, and the shorts. Thank you, James.

[James]: I made sure to get a lot of color. I know you like it.

I do. Are YOU planning on wearing color this weekend? I can't stop thinking about you in that light blue suit.

[James]: You liked it?

Yup. It made your eyes pop.

[James]: Then I'll pack it.

And something casual. Are you capable of being casual?

James types and erases a few times.

[James]: I let you get away with a hell of a lot of attitude, you know that?

Why don't you spank it out of me? 😘

[James]: Keep it up and we'll see what I do, doll.

[James]: I'll see you in a couple of hours. You know where the airstrip is?

Yup. I'll drive there in my brand new car 😭 I still can't believe you did that.

[James]: You're worth it, Dahlia.

Finally starting to feel like it.

"Excuse me?" A voice calls. Dahlia didn't even hear the doorbell and Wanda has been too busy watching her text with a big smile on her face as she eats.

Dahlia's head snaps up and sees a girl with long dark hair, about her age, standing in front of her.

"Hi!" Dahlia chirps. "Can I help you?"

"Yeah, um, I saw your ad online and I wanted to apply for the temporary position."

She holds out a resume. It reads Kate Bishop at the top. She's dressed professionally.- way more professionally than Wanda and Dahlia. She has a black suit jacket with a purple tank top and black jeans. Her hair is pulled back into a low ponytail and she smiles. Dahlia looks through it. It's impressive. Her last job was in New York working at a security company.

"You're not from here?"

It seems like an obvious question. LA is mostly full of people who weren't actually born here. Kate shakes her head.

"I'm from New York originally. Came here on an athletic scholarship."

"USC?"

She nods.

"Why flowers?" Wanda asks, taking the resume from Dahlia's hands. "You don't have any experience with retail."

"To tell you the truth, I need a good job that's not waiting tables," Kate laughs. "I, uh, I'm not so great at it."

"Me neither," Wanda replies. "Too many things to remember when I'm taking orders."

"That's why I told you write them down, Wands," Dahlia teases.

"Sometimes I lost my pen, bitch," Wanda spits.

"Do you know anything about flowers?"

"My mom and I used to make arrangements at Christmas."