(13) moonlit nights

a/n: song i got inspired by is agony (instrumental version), and this one takes places during the first thor movie :)

The stone paths of Asgard were illuminated by the last rays of the setting sun

The stone paths of Asgard were illuminated by the last rays of the setting sun. Warming, comforting. Yet since the rumors of the blonde Odinson being banned to Midgard had spread, the ambience Asgard was emanating was not to be described as warm nor comforting.

With quick yet classy steps, a young woman set through the corridors of the castle, enchanted by the majestically golden surfaces she was facing on her way to the younger prince's chambers.

Soon, the full moon would have risen and each of those nights, she'd spend the night reading or talking with him. To be frank, Loki wasn't much of a talker, yet reading was, perhaps, his way to warm up with her being around and in the end either he or she would end up rambling passionately about something, the other absorbing all the words.

Yet this day, [Name] felt something was in the air. It may have been that he had forgotten within all the turmoil about his brother, yet Loki had not been waiting outside the palace for her, unlike the previous evenings.

She'd been lucky the guards had let her in.

Finally, she reached the shiny, golden door that led to his chambers, seeming sort of inadequate. Yet she inhaled deeply and nervously brushed a strand of hair out of her face before knocking as confidently as possible, then waiting.

As she didn't receive a response from the inside, she knocked again, louder this time though her heart didn't pound less rapidly. Anew no answer. Overcoming herself to simply push down the handle seemed nearly inconceivable, yet somehow she managed to.

The raven-haired prince was nowhere to be seen. Her glance wandered across his furniture, everything properly arranged. The only place out of her sight was the balcony. With quiet steps, she approached the curtains separating the areas before peering past them, her heart pounding wildly.

There he stood. Staring into the distance that the golden railing was separating from his body.

The thickness of the silence that laid itself down onto her the second she entered the outside cut off the words in her throat. As soon as she had laid eyes on her beloved prince, she had noticed something was different.

When she eventually dared to slightly raise her voice, she couldn't tell if only seconds or minutes had already passed.

"Thought today's full moon night, hm?" she asked, settling on a soft smile onto her lips despite the uncomfortable silence ruling until that moment.

"My prince? Would you care to look at me, perhaps?"

He did, eventually. Revealing his red, puffy eyes, tears that ran down his pale cheekbones along with the sorrowful, disheartened expression lying in his eyes.

Confusion and worry were written across her face as she began to let her gaze wander across the rest of him, checking if he was injured. A gasp escaped her lips.

"Loki, your hands, they're..." She didn't dare to finish her sentence.

The prince's trembling hands were coloured a deep blue as they tightly gripped the railing. Loki's eyes started to suddenly fill with panic, and as she shot another close glance at him, she noticed his neck's skin tone fading into the same deep blue his hands were coloured.

Her gaze spoke volumes as she saw it, an immense amount of questions bubbling up inside her, yet she was unable to speak, though she wasn't terrified either.

Overwhelmed by the situation, she reached out for him in attempt to comfort him, unable to understand what was happening.

But the prince backed away, the panic still written across his features.

She wasn't terrified. He was.

"Leave", he managed to croak out, backing away into a corner on the balcony whilst also attempting to cover up his neck.

"Loki, I won't... I can't leave you in this manner, what is happening to you? Should I...?"

"LEAVE!"

Heavy sobs now began to rack his body as he buried his face in his hands. Yet leaving him wasn't an option in her eyes.

She knelt down in front of him, concern still filling her eyes. Carefully, she reached out her delicate fingers, attempting to clasp his hands to comfort him as well as making him realise she was there.

But as her fingertips touched his skin, a burning pain flashed through her flesh, causing her to pull her hand back immediately whilst suppressing a whimper.

"I beg you", Loki demanded, his voice weak. He'd lifted his face slightly, allowing her to catch a glimpse of his teary eyes.

"I won't!" she breathed, now close to tears herself as she desired nothing more than to make him feel comforted and loved, to get him out of the dispirited state he was currently in.

"This won't be working out, all we had. I won't be able of being with anyone, with you, anymore. I'm heinous. I'm..."

As Loki spoke, the blue hue of his skin began to slowly fade, his pale skin tone returning to his neck, his hands. Now that these self-destructive sounding words had escaped his lips, she was aware of the pain he was in, plus that her physical pain was nothing compared to his. Though she still felt the throbbing pain of the burn in her fingers, she reached out for him once again.

Yet this time, his skin felt soft. Slightly cold, but still soft.

He flinched at her touch, his breathing shaky as he watched her fingers slowly stroking across his.

"You're not hurting me", she reassured.

"Oh, but I did." Tears continued to crawl down his features.

"I'll be fine", she promised, shifting closer to him. For a couple of minutes, they lingered in that position, both leaned with their backs against masonry, his silent sobs not stopping, her holding him as he nearly fell apart.

All of a sudden, he then started to chuckle.

"It all makes sense now", he uttered, rage and sorrow shaping his tone. "Why father... favoured Thor all those years. Why I am the son who has been worth less since perhaps ever." He scoffed.

"None of you is more or less worth. Why would I have spent time with you all these evenings if that was so?"

Loki teared up as those words left her throat. "Listen. What you are going to hear is going to terrify you to death, so I'd appreciate if you'd leave it at that and simply leave my chambers after."

Tears started to spill from his eyes as his breath shuddered.

"I'm not Asgardian. I... I'm a frost giant."

Silence.

"And you think that's a reason we can't see each other anymore?"

Another scoff escaped his lips. "If I lose control, I'll hurt you, I already did once. I won't be able to simply continue living with being aware of that. I'd rather distance myself from anyone, everyone, than hurting you once more. You... the fact..." Loki took in a deep, shaky breath,

"The fact that I'll hurt the person I fell for is too much to take."