Final Stretch

Night Runner didn't want to race, that was for sure. From the moment I opened her stall I could she the gears in her head turning trying to figure out how to just run and be left alone. But her gears didn't turn quick enough and I quickly saddled her and walked her to the track, the whole way with her head bobbing up and down in defiance. The owner showed up early, and was surprised to see that I had some control of Night Runner. When I got there I mounted and I took a lap at a stiff trot with Night Runner. Throughout the lap, I could feel her step into pace, either she gave into me which I doubt, or she felt that she needed to save her energy for a race.

Even though I didn't want to push Night Runner to race let alone run her, I had no choice, if I don't try I'll get fired. It's like getting pushed into a crack and soon the crack gets smaller and smaller, it starts to suffocate you and then, it kills you. This is metaphorically of course but it feels real like a yawning crack opened up beneath my feet and is rapidly starting to close.

I bring her to where our owner beckons me to line her up and we wait. Soon I see Win Big with Jessica and Christina coming our way, they enter the track and Win Big takes a easy trot. I see Win Big has his head bowed at an angle that makes him look slender and fragile like he really is a narrow built thoroughbred. His coat simmers in the sun like he soaked the rays of the sun and he became the color of the sun. A rich golden yellow with chocolate eyes and polished hooves. As Win Big comes around the corner the pit in my stomach grows heavy and crashes. He's sweating. That wasn't even a run. He isn't going to win.

As he pulls up next to us, Night Runner gets agitated and she tries to escape. But I manage to get control of her for a smidge and the race began. I try to hold her back, not to let her burst, and she doesn't burst, but she manages to waste a lot of energy as we tussle to form a team. Soon we're even with Win Big and Christina and I meet each other's eyes and dodge the shame. The shame that we know the outcome of the race. The shame that I can't control an ill-tempered horse. The shame that as sisters, we're stuck in the middle of this mess.

All throughout the final turn, Night Runner and I struggle against each other, then Night Runner understands. Soon she takes my pace and she gains ground easily surpassing Win Big, leaving him to bite the dust. I slightly stand in my saddle and give Night Runner a good pat and let the wind blow my words to Night Runner and into the distance. I feel light and joyous, only because of what I feel beneath me. Beneath me, there's a bounce in her step like air seems to cushion Night Runner's steps. Her mane tickles my face and her head seems to be raised slightly as if to announce to the world, I am triumphant, I am the winner. But deep inside me, my heart aches, and each breath seems to sting. I feel like after that joyous moment that I crashed back to earth and now I feel heavy. Why am I feeling this way? It's because I just lost my chance to be with a gracious loser, now I'm stuck with a pouter and a whiner. And now? Win Big is as homeless as a foal without it's mother.