Chapter 12: An Eventful Ride

Start from the beginning

    The two of you sat in that position for a while, taking in the view of the rarely seen desert. Pelican Town was located right in between a gorgeous mountain range, the ocean, and two forests, so the desire to explore nature outside of that wasn't terribly popular within the valley. However, when you had lived in Zuzu City, the desert had been the primary spot to go if you were looking to visit the outdoors.

    As you passed through the desert, a feeling of nostalgia washed over you. You remembered how you would dread the bus ride back to Zuzu City after you spent the summer's on your grandfather's farm. You hadn't spent the summer with him for years, your Joja Co. corporate office job had taken up most of your time with little vacation leave. You looked up at Shane, who was staring out the window.

    His face looked calm, but you couldn't imagine he storm inside. He looked tired, like he hadn't slept the night before. His eyebrows hung like heavy drapes over his eyes and his stubble was slowly but surely returning to his face. You sat up, making Shane turn to look at you, and smiled.

    "Why are you smiling?" He asked.

    "It's just a strange feeling." You looked out the window. "I usually only saw this when I would come home from my summer's in Pelican Town with my grandpa. Now, this is what I see as I'm leaving my home in Pelican Town."

    "Yeah, it can be strange." He said. "Were you originally from Zuzu City?"

    "Mhm. I've lived in Zuzu my entire life." You answered casually. "Well, until I moved to Pelican Town."

    "Do you like it here?" He asked casually.

    You nodded. "Farming is much better than working at Joja..." You realized your mistake as you said it. Shane worked at Joja Co. "I'm sorry... I wasn't even thinking."

    Shane's face turned red but he laughed anyways. "It's okay, I don't like working at Joja anyways."

    You looked away, embarrassed, but smiled back at him after a second. "In all honestly, I'm really loving life in the Valley." It was a perfect opportunity to test the waters between the two of you. You hesitated before you made your next remark. "I was worried I would just be lonely on the farm, but luckily, I've found someone I actually enjoy spending time with."

    "Oh?" He looked up from his lap, surprised, and looked into your eyes. "Who's that?"

    "Umm..." You scratched your head, a little nervous. "You, of course!"

    "I was hoping that was the answer." He smiled. "To be honest, I didn't really know anyone around here until you either." He laughed. "I've been here a lot longer than you, though." You could hear the embarrassment encroach in his voice.

    "Hey," You comforted him. "I didn't have many friends when I lived in the city." You let the silence fall between you two. You decided to ask him a question to rekindle the conversation. "Have you always lived in Pelican Town?"

    "No, actually." He laughed to himself. "I used to live in Zuzu City, too."

    "Oh." You were shocked, you couldn't believe you didn't know this about him. "How did you end up in Pelican Town?"

    "Well, I thought I would live with Marnie for a few years after high school...I kinda dropped out of college." He had a grin on his face, but it didn't look happy. "But after Jas's parents' died, I couldn't leave. I'm her godfather after all." He looked down and shook his head. "Since then, I've been spending my days at Joja Mart and my nights at the Saloon. Plus, Marnie gives me a great deal on rent."

    "I guess that would keep you around." You both chuckled. You peered out the window behind Shane to see the trees starting to reappear and houses begin to dot the sides of the road. Shane saw you staring and turned around as well.

    "I guess we're nearing the city." He said. "This is really happening. Wow."

    "Hey," You smiled, grabbing his hand. "You got this. It's gonna be great."

    He took his other hand and grabbed yours, still closed tightly around his. "Thanks. It means the word that you came with me today."

    "Of course! Anything for a friend."

    "Ah."

    "What?"

    "Nothing." He mumbled.

    Before you could question him further, the bus halted to a stop. Pam's voice interrupted your thoughts as the intercom blasted over your head. "Attention, we are now in Zuzu City. The time is currently 9:31 AM. The bus will leave at 2 PM this afternoon. Have a good time."

✏️ A/N:  Hey all! I really hope you enjoyed this chapter! Mental health is so important and Shane is a wonderful example of getting help and using support systems in this chapter. I'm sorry if this chapter was a little too long. Next Sunday, February 6, 2022, we'll see how Shane's appointment goes in Chapter 13: A Trip in the City. Thank you so much for reading! xoxo Kira