Chapter 12: An Eventful Ride

Start from the beginning

    "(Y/N)!" He called, his face breaking out into a giant grin. He held out his arms to you. You quickly ran over and gave him a hug. "I'm so glad you came."

    "Of course!" You smiled. "I'm happy to spend the day with you! Plus, I haven't been to the city in forever." You both laughed.

    "Hey, kid." The woman behind Shane spoke up. "The name's Pam. Don't be a jerk and we'll get along fine." She threw the cigarette she was holding down into the grass and smushed it with her foot. She turned around and headed into the bus.

    "She's the bus driver." Shane whispered to you. "She's usually not in a great mood." He chuckled, "Pam's at the Saloon even more than me." You could see the twinkle in his eye quickly diminish as he finished his sentence.

    "Ya comin',?" Pam yelled, leaning out of the driver's seat window. "I'm leaving with or without you kids."

    "C'mon." Shane said, casually grabbing your hand. Your heart skipped a beat with his touch. You were positive that it was just friendly hand holding, but the butterflies in your stomach started to flutter again. He led you onto the bus and towards a row of seats near the middle. You followed him back and sat down in the seat across from him.

    "Oh." He said, after seeing you sit down in a different seat.

    "What?" You asked, worried you had offended him. You paused for a second, mustering up some courage. "Could I... sit with you?"

    "Of course!" Shane smiled, patting the seat next to him. "I'd really like that."

    You happily scooted over to his seat as Pam's voice came over the speakers. "Attention, the time is now 8:03 AM. The doors are closing and we will begin our route to Zuzu City, estimated to arrive at 9:38 AM." The intercom clicked off and the bus doors screeched shut as the vehicle began to move.

    "Thanks for coming with me." Shane said, drawing you attention. "To be honest, I'm a little anxious..." he paused thoughtfully before nervously uttering his next words. "Being around you makes me... not anxious, well anxious, but in a good way, you don't make me anxious, it's me that makes me anxious, it's just when I'm around you..." He stopped, his face turning bright red. "Sorry." He mumbled as he shook his head and buried his face in his hands.

    "It's okay." You laughed, gently pulling his hands away from his face. "I completely get it."

    His smile returned quickly. "Thanks."

    You rode for the next little bit in complete silence, just listening to the bus cruise down the road. Shane had been staring intently out the window, leaning against the glass, for the last several minutes. It drew your attention when he sat up straight and turned to you. "We're almost to the Calico Desert." He smiled and you watched him point out the window towards up ahead. You leaned over and looked out as the lush, green hills of the valley turned into a sandy prarie. You turned to look back at Shane but realized that you were leaning over him so far that you were essentially cuddled into his chest.

    Shane seemed to notice, but instead of flenching or backing away, he gently put his arm around you and rested his hand on your back. It felt more intimate, but you weren't sure if it was quite romantic.

    That had been your biggest question. Were you and Shane going to just start where you left off, after your first date from which he fled? Or were you starting over, just as friends? Was he still into you? You liked him, of course, but you weren't sure if he still liked you. You wanted to ask him, but you were nervous and you were positive that he was too busy focusing on his upcoming counseling session to bother with those emotions for the moment.