Chapter 65: Blue 2

Start from the beginning

Well, for one thing, it had gotten bigger. The door on the way to Mrs. Hudson’s flat was open more often now, and the disgusting smell of mold had vanished. Blue sniffed at the threshold, recognizing the scent, but unsure of exactly how he knew it. He padded onward, exploring further into 221C.

A red plastic sippy cup dropped to floor barely an inch from his head, clattering loudly. Blue jumped backwards, yipping in surprise. He looked up, searching for the source of the projectile.

“Puppy!”

Blue’s barked, pressing his paws against the legs of Rosie’s highchair and licking her cheek.

Hi! Hi! Hi!

The little girl laughed, waving her spoon in the air.

John came into the room, carrying a stack of cardboard boxes.

“Oh good, you found your friend.” The doctor said. “Blue, look after Rosie for a minute while I unpack these.”

Blue barked once and sat down next to the chair, happy with his new post. He liked the small human very much. She always had time to play with him. She was never running out of the flat to see Sherlock and Y/N’s friend “case.” He wondered if his parents would get a small human too so he’d have another friend. Blue’s tail thumped on the floor at the idea.

Rosie giggled, tossing her spoon over the edge of her chair. Blue scrambled to his feet and chased after the utensil, faithfully returning it to her. She threw it once more and again he chased after it. By the time John returned, Blue was lying next to the chair, panting.

“What have you done to the poor dog, Rosie?” John asked, scooping up his daughter.

“Puppy!”

John tickled her. “Yes. You’re happy to be living with your friend, aren’t you, little miss?”

Rosie laughed. “Puppy.”

~

Y/N sat heavily down on the sofa. Instantly, Blue shuffled over so his head rested in her lap, ready for attention. She didn’t fail him.

“I am so sore.” Y/N groaned, scratching under his collar.

“Feeling your age, perhaps?” Sherlock said from his chair.

“I rather think I’m feeling all the boxes I carried up the stairs. What do you mean, my age?” She was incredulous.

Sherlock opened his eyes, looking at his fiancée over his steepled fingers. He kept his face neutral, as if speaking to a client. 

“You have lived for three entire decades, aches and pains are perfectly normal at your time of life.”

Y/N scoffed. “My time of life? You’re how many years older than me, Sherlock Holmes? Let’s see…” She began counting on her fingers. “One, two, three, four, five, six, seven–”

He didn’t let her get farther than that. Sherlock rose from his  chair and strode across the room. Sherlock silenced Y/N with a kiss, pinning her against the back of the sofa. She leaned into him, bringing her hand away from Blue’s head to hold onto Sherlock’s shoulder.

Y/N smiled. “So the old man can dish it out but he can’t take it.”

Sherlock pressed a kiss just under her ear, making Y/N shiver. Blue caught the sweaty smell again.

“Amazing,” Y/N inhaled as Sherlock began kissing further down the column of her throat, “How you’re still able to stand on those brittle bones.”

Sherlock hummed low in his chest disapprovingly before pressing Y/N further against the couch. His hand crept beneath the hem of her shirt, brushing across the soft skin of her stomach.