sixteen- sister

I ran through the halls, coming up to a receptionist's desk. "Hi, which room is Peggy carter?"

The nurse gave me a confused look, "And who are you?" I groaned, "I'm Y/n Carter. Her sister." The lady laughed, "Yeah right. Miss Carter is in her 90's. You would be too."

I rolled my eyes, "You know Captain America?"

She nodded, "Of course. He comes in at times to talk to her."

"Great. Same situation. Serum. World war. I'm actually 102, now let me see my sister."

Her eyes squinted, "Let me see some ID."

At this point, I almost laughed. How was an ex-HYDRA Assasin supposed to have an ID let alone be able to get one. "I don't have one. But I have this." I pulled out a picture I had stolen from a shield file. Also how I found out where she was in the first place. 

"Look." I handed it to her. It was the same photograph that was taken in 1943. Steve and Bucky were on both sides of me and Peggy. I looked the same as I did then. Give or take a couple of inches of hair. 

"Now let me see my sister." She nodded, handing me back the picture. I folded it, shoving it in my pocket as she guided me to a room down the nursing home hallway. 

"This is her. If you need anything let me know." 

"Thank you."

"Mhm." She hummed, walking back to the desk. I pushed the door open. Seeing her frail body lying in the hospice bed. I could tell she was asleep. Her chest moved slowly up and down as I took a seat next to her. 

She looked different. But at the same time, she was Peggy. She was my sister. Her once auburn hair had turned a silver-gray. Her blood-red lips were now pale and dry. Defined wrinkles settled on her skin. It gave me a tinge of nostalgia when I saw her nails were still done. Crimson paint with a perfect manicure. But even in her old age, she was still the same Peggy who raised me. I couldn't even describe how much I had missed her. 

She started to stir, opening her eyes. I was hesitant, wondering how she would react. The last time I saw her was jumping out of a plane in the middle of hostile German territory. Life hasn't been a sweet ride since then. 

She looked at me for a minute before she lifted her hands, holding her face as a few tears slipped down her cheeks. "Y/n..."

I nodded, "Hey, big sister." She laughed, grasping my hand into hers. Being older didn't stop her from crushing the hell out of my hand. 

"Where have you been?" She questioned, cupping my face with her cold hand. I smiled, letting the tears fall. "Not anywhere I wanted to be, Peggs. But I'm back. For good, I promise."

Peggy sobbed, holding onto me for dear life, as I did her. "I love you so much, little sister."

I breathed out a laugh, "I love you too, Peggy."

She took a deep breath, "Can we go home now Y/n?"

"What do you mean, Peggs?" My brows furrowed in confusion, leaning slightly on my elbows. 

"Home." She whispered, "Back to our apartment in London."

Then it hit me. I felt my stomach drop as I asked the one question I'm not sure I wanted the answer to, "Peggs, what year is it?"

She shook her head as if I just asked her something bizarre. Then she answered, "1947." My heart clenched. She didn't know what year it was. I was at least grateful she knew who I was. I held her hand tighter, "Oh, Peggy."

"We're going home, right? Steve is coming back with us?" I nodded, letting her wipe a stray tear from my face, "Yeah...We're all going home."

Silence overtook the room for a few minutes before she spoke again, "I need to tell you something, Y/n.."