Thirteen- Deal

Steve had guided us to a ship he called the quinjet. We got on, still a little cautious of our surroundings. Even after being free from HYDRA for so long I still felt like I had to watch my back. As if the moment I let my guard down they would be there to take me back. Take us back. 

A few hours I leaned over to Bucky, whispering, "I know I have my memories back." He looked down at me, waiting for me to continue. 

"But there's a difference between memories and emotion. I may know who he is but I don't feel like I do." 

He looked over, his brows furrowing, "Do you feel like you know me?"

I nodded, "You know I do." I took a deep breath, suppressing the memories so I could at least get one sentence out. "I've felt like I knew you since the last time we were put under." A long silence fell between us as Bucky held my hand in his. His thumb rubbed soft circling on my skin. 

"You deserved better." He whispered, breaking the silence. 

"So did you, James. You still do." I looked out the window to see a large tower becoming closer. The jet whirred around, backing up as it landed on the platform. "We're here."

Bucky got up, helping me unclasp my seatbelt before guiding me beside him. "Where exactly is here?" I questioned, crossing my arms. 

Steve looked at me then back down. "The Avengers tower." I nodded, listening. "Fury's intimidating but he only means well, I promise."

"What exactly does he want from us?" Bucky asked, placing his hand on the small of my back. I could feel his muscles relax from the tension as I reciprocated his touch. 

"He just wants to talk. He knew I'd be the best to send for you two."

We both nodded, "Let's get this over with."

"Ladies first." Steve gestured to the ramp. He walked us through the building and into an elevator. I knew I had been in one before, on missions and such. But I hadn't experienced one with my own mind. technology really had progressed. 

Bucky kept me beside him, our hands linked together. Steve stopped at a door, swiping a card as the light turned green, allowing us entrance. "Sir, this is James Barnes and Y/n Carter."

"Have a seat." The man with an eyepatch ordered, spinning around in his chair. "What is this about, Fury?" Steve spoke lowly. 

"Leave the room, Rogers. we have business to attend to."

"Yes, sir I'll be outside."

We both watched as Steve walked out, leaving just the two of us with a man we didn't know. Let alone trust. 

he eyed us carefully, standing up as he leaned against the glass desk, "So...The infamous Winter Soldier." Bucky stayed silent, looking down at our hands. 

"And Winter Soldier's bitch." My head shot up, hearing what he had called me. "We are not those people anymore."

Fury hummed, looking me dead in the eyes, "The thing is, we might need some of that right about now."

"You got a point?" Bucky asked, speaking for the first time since coming in. 

"You've been working for the bad guys for 70 years. Why not work for the good guys for a change?"

"And if we refuse?" I questioned, feeling uneasy. 

 Fury stood back, crossing his arms, "Then there's a truckload of armed guards ready to take you to the raft. And trust me, there's no escaping an underwater prison."

I but the inside of my lip. Fighting everything in me to give in to the urge of punching this man right in his eye. We were people. People who had been taken from their own lives. Tortured. Experimented on and was made to do unspeakable things. When would we get a break?