Chapter 7

This chapter is dedicated to Jonnae (@JL0816) - my very first follower and commenter!

Thanks so much for the support :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 28, 2017 - Gotham Airport

Marinette POV-

We all slowly got off the plane, dazed from the 8-hour flight. I stretched my legs and leaned on Adrien, I had been dead tired, but unable to sleep at all during the flight. I blinked at the the afternoon sun. We had left at 10, but got here at 12. It was very disorienting. The time difference was about 6 hours; so normally I would be helping to close up the bakery right now, and the sun would be casting long shadows down the sidewalks. Yet the sun is shining in the highest point of the sky. 

So weird.

Slowly the class files through to the baggage claiming area. Chloe calls us an Uber because she - and I quote - "couldn't stand the rancid stench of the hot air that came out of Lila's mouth". I stifled a giggle at my over-dramatic friend. 

I grimace when I realize that I had forgotten something extremely important; my parents. I quickly text my mom - saying that we had safely landed, and updating her as far as our whereabouts. Which was in the back of an Uber en route to our hotel. I was honestly a little surprised that she hadn't texted first, and I knew that if I waited any longer she was liable to fly down to Gotham just to kick my rear all the way back to France. I get a cheery response telling me to have fun, and way too many emojis. That sounds like my mother.

I shoot a quick text to Bridgette too - she couldn't leave the country until her french citizenship was all sorted. It had only been a day and already my heart hurt from having to separate again.

When we get to the hotel I check the other students in, as everything was under my name to begin with, and get all of the keys needed. Just then, the loud group of teens rushed over to us. I smile and hand the room keys to Mme Bustier, who starts assigning rooms and giving us all the rules as far as staying out and when to be back. Surprisingly our curfew was 12:00am. Meaning that we could be out all day, miss every meal, and as long as we are in our rooms at midnight we were in the clear. That was pretty cool. I felt like this was going to bite the teachers in the butt at some point, but for now I was going to enjoy the loose rules and sense of freedom they provided.

I zone out during the rest of the room arrangements and walk over to Chloe, who had the keys for our room. She hands them to me and Kagami telling us not to lose them and I smile at her motherly actions. Hard to believe she was the one so bent on destroying me not too long ago. Seems like a whole 'nother world then. When my problems weren't as big as they are now. I glance over at Lila as I think of the absolute heck she has caused for me.

The teacher dismisses us and I take the time in the elevator to glance at my schedule Bruce had emailed me. I had today off, and tomorrow I was going over to his manor for an informal dinner. It was emphasized in the email that it wasn't a fancy event. I wonder why... 

The email had also said that I get a plus one. So that begs the question - Adrien or Chloe? Both of them fought to fill the "best friend" place in my life, and I was very close with both of them, however... I had been close with Adrien for longer. But Chloe knows everything about my past, she would be a big help should something be... triggering. I close my email and text Chloe, who - I was fairly certain - was currently in the bath. 

Me: hey chlo?

BBChlo: yeah bug?

Me: how do you feel about being my plus one for dinner at the Waynes?

BBChlo: first off, yes of course. second off, did I just win against adrien for doing a one-on-one thing with you?!

BBChlo: ha! this is totally going on the board.

I chuckle as I turn my phone off and plug it in on my nightstand, ignoring the many many texts of victory and despair that were being sent from Chloe and Adrien, respectively. I look at the time - it was currently 3:00. In order to get on the right sleeping schedule I should stay up until at least 9:00. I grab a coffee and my laptop, it's going to be a very long 6 hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damien POV - 

The imbeciles that I call brothers had been acting weirder than usual. They are hiding something from me. I will figure it out.

I had done some digging already, and I found out that a french class was coming to the US. Every file that I could find only had the class, the tour schedules, and not much else. This, apparently, was the class of the student who had won the scholarship. One of my brothers had told me the student's name, but I hadn't been listening. 

I had been feeling sorry for myself.

I had been sulking at dinner. It had been Marinette's birthday. She had turned 17. Normally she would've had a ceremony for reaching the age where she would unlock her true powers as a Miraculous Holder; and I would be by her side the whole time. We were supposed to get married when she turned 18, and I still have no clue where the heck she is. 

That doesn't mean you get to drown in self pity. You're better than this.

That's right. I am better than this. I shake my head and grab a set of katanas off of my wall, it was the set that had one of Marinette's katanas and one of mine. When we were training, it wasn't uncommon for one of us to need the other's blade. We both had different tastes and fighting styles - therefore we had very different blades. Marinette's tended to be shorter and lighter, but so sharp you couldn't hear it cutting through bone. Mine were stronger, longer. Better for frontal assault - they could take the strain of hitting another's sword. 

I take a second to analyze the two blades in my hand; one was several inches shorter than the other, and was coal black - the hilt showing a hint of the pastel pink that Marinette had braided into the leather handle. The other was thicker, and blood red. Both leather hilts were worn from use. The two had drastically different designs, but they described me and my beloved perfectly. It was by far my favorite katana set that I had ever owned. 

I lovingly caressed Marinette's blade. The only thing of her that I had. 

Why must this hurt so much?

My mother had taught me that feelings were for the weak. The vulnerable. But in the dead of night Marinette would tell me that they were a strength, an asset. The thing that made me human, and not a weapon. It was during those times I would realize how much I loved her; and I made sure she knew how I felt.

I am so lost without her.

It had been 5 years. 5 long years without my other half. Habibti, my angel. I just hoped that I would find her soon, 'cause I could feel myself sinking. I was losing the battle for myself, and without her I might never come back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

word count: 1299

Thanks again for reading! Take care of yourselves and goodnight!

edited 7/26/23