Chapter 6

August 28, 2017 - Dupain-Cheng Bakery

Marinette POV-

I woke up to my alarm, which had been going off for a few minutes at that point. For the first time in years I was excited to get out of bed. I glance at the clock as I swing my legs over the side of the bed.

5:30. 4 hours until we have to leave.

I stepped over the sleeping forms of my friends, who were in sleeping bags on the floor. They were still sound asleep, even though I knew my alarm was loud. They must've stayed up much later than I had.

"Well Tiki, you know what that means. It's time for us to make some breakfast." I smile at my little Kwamii as I quietly made my way downstairs and into the kitchen. The bakery was going to open late today - so that my Maman and Papa would see us off. This was going to be the longest time I had ever stayed away from them. Needless to say there was going to be tears.

I slip into a familiar rhythm as I make breakfast. Croissants and danishes, my friends' favorites. It takes about an hour to get all of the dough made, and ready to go into the oven. I set the timer and take off my apron, I clap my hands and laugh at the clouds of flour that poof into the air. 

About 20 minutes later, the danishes are ready to take out. I take a deep breath as I pull the pastries out of the oven. The house smells like home. I smile at the redundancy of that thought.  The warm scent of the danishes makes me feel safe. It reminds me I'm loved.

He would've loved these.

I smile sadly as I stare at the fresh treats. Dami had always liked sweet things, no matter how much he had tried to hide it. He loved sneaking a pastry or two while we were on a mission, or snatching a handful of chocolate chips from the kitchen. Assassins like me and him were kept on a strict diet, one that wasn't really meant for taste and more for performance enhancement.

God how we had hated that diet.

It was hard for two 9-year-olds to refuse cookies; and we rarely did. We were just skilled at knowing when we could and couldn't accept the delicious contraband. 

I hear feet on the stairs and out of instinct I stay still until I realize who it is. Chloe. She was rubbing her eyes and yawning. I carried the tray of pastries over to the table and she slumps into her chair without even acknowledging me. She was not a morning person, and it was best not to talk to her until she had gotten some coffee into her. 

I place a ceramic mug in front of her and she wordlessly grabs it, nodding her thanks. As she takes the first few sips of her "life juice" as she liked to call it, the other four file down the stairs and make a beeline for the tray of steaming hot goodies.

I grab a danish and sit down with my own mug of coffee, sitting in silence with the rest of my friends as we eat our breakfast. None of us were really morning people, except for Adrien, but he had learned to keep his early morning excitement to a minimum until about 9:00. Earlier than that and someone was liable to start throwing things.

I smile as my Maman and Papa come out of their room. They chuckle at the gaggle of quiet teens and grab some coffee. We sit in silence as the sun slowly comes up and basks Paris in golden light. It was gorgeous. It made me want to sketch. I glance at my watch only to find that it was now 8:45.

Where had the time gone?!

"Hey guys, knowing Lila she is probably going to talk the teacher into leaving early so we should probably get to the school pretty soon." I spoke in a soft voice, the morning magic making me want to keep the quiet going for as long as possible. They all nodded as I made my way to my room to change. I knew that there was going to be a lot of travel today, so I put my hair into a bun and put on a hoodie and some soft leggings. I paired it with soft socks and combat boots. Some chapstick and mascara later and I was ready to face the world. I look at the clock again - 9:00. I take my luggage and bring it downstairs. Noting everyone was still in their same spots. I chuckle, getting their attention.

"You know, I kinda find it funny that now I'm waiting on you guys." I have a playful smile on my face and put my hands on my hips. My tardiness had been legendary not too long ago, and they all knew it.

"Ughhhh its way too early for this Mari." Chloe had finally gotten enough caffeine to start speaking again. She had slumped farther into her chair, clutching the mug of coffee close to her chest.

How late did these guys stay up last night?!

"Guys come onnnn." I whine as they slowly start shuffling to my room. Adrien grabs another croissant and skips up the steps to go change. I chuckle, he had been lighter ever since he had started hanging out with my family. My parents gave him the family he never had, and he was the big brother I had always wanted. I hadn't seen him this happy and carefree in a long time.

 I smile as I turn to my luggage that I had set by the door. Chloe's car was waiting outside so I bring my suitcases out and start loading them into the trunk. Once that's done I say my goodbyes to Maman and Papa. I hug them both tightly as they say the usual 'stay safe' and 'don't get in trouble'. I smile at their concern and squeeze them tighter.

"I'll be fine Maman, Papa I will be safe. Don't worry guys. I'll be back soon." I stood back and looked at my mother. I was taller than her now, not tall - as I was barely 5'2" - but I was tall enough to look down at my mother. It was an odd feeling.

"I watch as my friends trudge down the stairs and load their stuff into the car. I climb in and watch the buildings as we go past, it was 9:15, a whole 45 minutes before we were supposed to leave, and 15 minutes before we were even supposed to be at the school. However, just as I had predicted, when we pulled up to the school; there Lila stood with the rest of our class, loading their luggage on to two busses. 

"What did I tell you guys?" I sent a smug smirk as the 5 other teens send half hearted glares in my direction.

"Let's get loaded up I guess." Luka steps forward to grab his stuff from the trunk. Scuffling behind me tells me that the other classmates had realized we were here. 

"Oh! Marinette! I am so happy you could make it! I was so scared that we were going to leave you behind!" Lila leans into Alya and starts crying. Alya sends me an exasperated look that just said 'really?' My insides churn as I look away and continue what I had been doing.

I can't let her get to me this much.

I hand bags and other personal belongings to the two teachers that were packing the busses. Soon enough we are off and on our way to the airport. I was so excited to get out of Paris. I was so ready to get a fresh start. 

As we boarded the plane, Adrien brought out the tickets and we went inside to our seats. I was shaking with excitement by the time we started to take off.

This was going to be great.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1378

I haven't really edited these yet, I'll probably do that later ig. But for now there might be some errors. I give you full permission to correct my spelling and usages of "your" lol. Hopefully y'all liked this chapter, have a wonderful night.

edited 7/26/23