Stepping Up, Chapter 05

Tibs's left wrist itched.

"I don't know what's worse," Jackal said, rubbing his now bare left wrist. "The brand wearing those things puts on us, or what having it removed means."

"I'm going to miss the freedom to travel," Carina said wistfully, running a finger over where the bracelet had been only minutes earlier.

"You'll be able to do that again when the dungeon graduates, right Tibs?" Jackal said.

"But I won't have months of it."

"So long as no one attacks him again," Tibs grumbled, giving in to the need and scratching at his wrist.

"How long until everyone's back, do you think?" Carina asked.

"Two days," Jackal replied, "if they want to live."

Two days was how long the Runners had to return once the gem on the bracelet turn from yellow to red, which it had this morning. It would turn black after that, and anyone not in the town would become wanted, and the guild only cared about getting the bracelet back, not the person who was attached to it.

Tibs hadn't heard of anyone being hunted this way, but some people hadn't returned when Sto had reopened after graduating.

* * * * *

"Jackal," Mez said, stepping up to the table. He nodded to the others. "Carina, Tibs."

Tibs stared at the archer. Instead of the guild armor, and the good, but worn, clothing he's last seen on the man, he wore new leathers that looked in better condition than Tibs's armor. The clothing was dark brown, with black and silver trim, and of a quality that Tibs wouldn't be surprised to see on a noble.

Mez stepped aside and motioned to a woman, slightly shorter than he was, with copper hair and the same dark tanned complexion as the archer. Her clothing was of the same quality as Mez's, and in the same color scheme, but hers had more silver,

"May I introduce you to Amanda Dhadly; my betrothed."

"You got married?" Jackal asked in dismay, then cursed as his startlement made food fall on his lap.

"What about Tandy?" Tibs asked.

The woman told Mez something, and he shook his head. "It's nothing." She said something in a sharp tone. "Just someone from the past." He looked at Tibs. "I'll explain things to her. She'll understand."

"Mez," Carina said, her expression darkening. "You better hope you can run a lot faster than she can."

* * * * *

Tibs paced in front of the transportation platform. He reached the pillar with the box of bracelets again; the gems were still red. He looked at the guard sitting on the ground next to it. There was no one waiting their turn. Since the gem had turned red, the platform was dedicated to arrivals.

"How much longer?"

The man shrugged again. "A few minutes, I'm guessing."

Guessing wasn't good enough. Tibs did another circuit and looked in the box again. Still red.

"A few more—"

Tibs snarled as he turned.

Where was he?

Tibs didn't believe Khumdar would choose to die rather than return. The darkness cleric was aloof, but he considered the team to be his friends. Tibs was certain of that, maybe even his family, as Tibs did. If he didn't come back, it was because—Tibs refused to think about that. He wasn't ready to lose someone this close to him.