|Chapter 8|

It took Willow a long time to find everyone and she suspected that the twins and Claire were cheating because they were the last she found, trying to find another place to hide. While Olive was counting, Willow thought it would be a good idea to hide in the secret garden. So, the young woman walked along the house and she looked up at the kitchen window to see that Miss Peregrine was looking outside, standing straight, arms crossed on her chest.

Her gaze was filled with a sadness that Willow didn't know where it came from. The young woman stopped and stared at the ymbryne, wondering why she was like that. That's when it hit her: today was the 60th anniversary of Victor's death. At this instant, Willow felt bad, terribly bad. She forgot it when it must be so hard for Alma right now.

Feeling the need to cheer Miss Peregrine up, Willow went back inside the house by the back door and she made her way to the kitchen. The headmistress didn't hear her, she was still looking outside, her gaze lost in sadness. The young woman walked silently to the older woman and when she was close enough, she wrapped her arms around Alma's waist.

The sudden feeling of being touched made Miss Peregrine jump a little, she was in her world, remembering how she felt when she was watching Victor and the children play together outside. The ymbryne allowed her body to go limp and she sighed, closing her eyes to enjoy the moment. Willow put the underside of her chin on Alma's shoulder and she whispered softly in her ear "I'm so sorry Alma." Miss Peregrine moved her head to the side to see Willow's face correctly.

"I am too..." Alma uncrossed her arms and placed her hands on Willow's.

"You know I'm here for you if you need to, don't you?" Willow's voice was as melodic as a robin's song. A grin drew itself on Alma's face.

"I know darling..."

The two women stayed in that position, standing in front of the window for a few minutes before Fiona arrived in the kitchen, panting like if she had run a marathon.

"Ah, there you are Willow, we've been searching for you for so long-" The little girl was stupefied to see Miss Peregrine and Willow so clamped together like that. "Oh, my apologies, I'll tell the others that you stopped to play."

"No Fiona, Willow is still playing, she'll meet you outside in a second." The girl nodded and she left the house, leaving Miss Peregrine and Willow alone again.

"But I don't wanna play hide-and-seek when you're clearly not fine. I wanna stay with you-" Alma escaped from Willow's embrace and she looked at her in the eyes.

"You don't have to, it's my job to make sure everybody's fine, I'm the grown up and it's an ymbryne's duty to-"

"Alma, I'm not a child anymore, I can be there for you in a way no one else can."

Miss Peregrine bit the inside of her cheek, she didn't like how vulnerable she was right now in front of Willow. The ymbryne shook her head and spoke again.

"Now, go find the others, they're waiting for you."

"Fine, but know that my door will always be open if you ever need to talk."

Willow didn't wait for any answer from the headmistress, she knew she wouldn't get one, and she met the children outside. They were standing in a circle, mumbling and whispering things one over the others. When Bronwyn saw Willow arrive, she shushed the others. They were totally talking about her, the young woman knew it, but what about her?

Willow joined the group and asked who had been found first. Emma answered that she was the one who was supposed to count, but her and the others had decided that they didn't want to play anymore. It was almost time for supper and nothing was made, result of Willow's arrival that disrupted everything. The children walked inside the house, one after the other like if they were soldiers, except Fiona and Bronwyn who went into the garden to make the carrot for tonight's meal.

Willow stayed outside, confused about what had just happened. Her friends were hiding something, that was as clear as a sky free from clouds. But the question was what? They were acting so weird since... well since Fiona saw Willow hugging Miss Peregrine from behind. No, that can't be it, Willow thought, it was only a hug, nothing more. But maybe Fiona interpreted it differently and maybe she shared her thoughts with the rest of the children. That would explain their strange behaviour.

Willow just wanted some alone time, there were so many things she had to process at the moment. The more she thought about her relationship with Alma, louder her thoughts became. It's like everything was clear now, but Willow didn't want to believe it. She was in love with the headmistress and that since the first time they met each other.