"If you could just tell me..." I caressed her cheek and pressed her closer to me. Her tiny body felt warmth. My hand immediately went to the top of her belly and rested my palm protectively. Ipinikit ko ang mga mata. I could almost feel our child inside, wailing and moving. Impatient to see the world. I haven't seen her yet but I know I'm going to love her with all my life, just like I love her mother. "You know I'm willing to do anything for you, right? Anything."

Stormie sighed. She rested her tiny palm against my chest and closed her eyes. "Pagod lang siguro ako."

"What are you tired of? The only chore you're attending in this house is to moan every time I touch you," I said wickedly, and she flushed. Pati dulo ng mga tainga niya ay namumula rin. Hinampas niya ako sa dibdib at bahagyang lumayo. My chest vibrated in laughter.

"I'm just kidding babe,"

Umirap si Stormie pero hindi pa rin nawawala ang pamumula ng mga pisngi. If I could just capture that moment and immortalize it in a photo, I would. But no camera would ever justify her beauty and no lens would ever capture her spirits. I'm just a lucky man, a witness to all her ethereal glory.

If only she could speak to me what bothers her, what I do and did not do, what I did too much or not enough of. It would mean the world to me. She grew up being shut down by her family—her mother and her father. Shantel was on her side, but even her had a moment of weakness when it comes to them. She had little to no self-esteem and would never bother anyone with her discomforts. Her mother drilled it to her head that her needs are not a priority, and she must do everything alone. I hated it.

"Sometimes," she looked up at me with her eyes swelling with tears. "Sometimes I dream that my mother attacks me while my baby is still inside..." Stormie said emotionally and couldn't help her tears as it flowed down her red cheeks. "And I get so scared... I'm so scared."

"Fuck," I muttered under my breath as she started shaking.

"The nightmares come and go. I just... I try not to think about it so much. It's so silly. She's locked up somewhere far. You're here with me. I should feel safe..."

Ipinikit ko nang mariin ang mga mata. Leonora Roman, I will never let you ruin my family after all this time. Never again.

"Stormie, hey," I said softly. She's sobbing in my arms. She's been carrying it alone for months! Gusto kong sisihin ang sarili sa hindi pagpilit sa kaniyang sabihin sa akin ito. I couldn't imagine her pain. Stormie is probably one of the people I met who has gone through so much. She is one of the strongest women in my life.

"We've been trying for... for years. I don't want anything bad to happen to our baby..." she almost whispered, running out of energy from her crying.

"Hey, I'm right here." I kissed her temple in an attempt to soothe her down. "I'm right here, Stormie. See? I'm never going away. I'll never leave you. You're safe here, do you hear me? You're safe."

She nodded weakly and lay her head against my chest. I wanted to cry with her, too. But I don't want to burden her any longer. She'll worry about me and that's the last thing I want to happen. She's had enough on her plate. I shouldn't be a burden. I should be her safe place. After all, she chose me to be her husband. I, more than anyone else, should be grateful and earn my keep.

I looked at her with everything I felt, with everything I am. She chose this life with me. I'm never going to let her down.

"I've never loved someone as much as I love you, Shortie." My voice cracked. I wanted to blame the few swallows of vodka but I know it's my emotions for her. "I may never even love someone the way I love you, and I never knew I was capable of loving this hard... this much until there was you. Do you hear me? I love you so damn much it's killing me to see you like this."