Chapter 20 Starlight

It was a Friday night and Ben and Ana were together in his sanctuary. They sat outside in the balcony, which was very large. The floor space had about the same amount as the living room and a concrete railing. There was patio furniture that consisted of a red and white cushioned daybed, two matching outdoor couches, a few foldable metal side tables, and a patio table/fireplace in the center of it all. It was all placed closer to the door and away from the railing.

The couple was lying together under cozy throw blankets in the daybed underneath the stars with a crackling fire and a box of pizza.

"This is nice. No complications, no distractions, just us," Ana said softly. She was laying her head on Ben's chest as he held her closely.

"Yeah. I like the idea of us always being like this," he said blissfully.

"But you do know we won't be, right? Always like this?" Ana said sadly.

"Someday, I'm gonna grow old and die. And when you're back in a few years, I won't be. And when you remember me, I'll be gone."

"Hey, you don't know that. You're a powerhouse and-"

"And every other powerhouse has died. We don't even know what my lifespan is."

"Those powerhouses were killed. No one knows how long they could've lived."

"But I'm here. So that means someone from my family long ago survived. And I don't have any lost relatives as far as I know."

"As far as you knew two weeks ago, you were the only one who wasn't human."

She giggled a bit. He had a point. There was no telling whether she would have another life with Ben.

"Well, tell me something. Will you still love me when I'm no longer like this? Young and beautiful. And will you love me in memory if say I don't join you in your next lifetime?"

"You really have to ask? Isn't it obvious?"

"I still want to hear it."

"Of course I will. I will love you until the very end of everything-if the universe went into oblivion tomorrow and I found out I'd never live another day, I'd die happy knowing that I've been in love at least once, and even more so because I did it with you."

"Even if I'm not so ready to say those words out loud?"

"Yes."

"Even if we haven't done anything?"

"I've seen the world turn into what it is today and done everything humanly possible and more. But I didn't know love until I met you."

She grinned and kissed him, giving him as much love in her kiss as he did in his words. Their mouths were enlaced in passion, faith, and truth.

As they parted, she couldn't help her sudden laughter.

"What? What is it?"

"I-It's just," she kept laughing.

"Okay, Carter. Spill."

"Okay, okay, okay," she composed herself. "It's just funny how we have to talk about this stuff. I mean, you've got to admit our situation's a bit odd. We're talking about things that people in their twenties are terrified of discussing. I feel like I've aged ten years since I met you."

"Yeah, you get used to it though. And if you are like us, and you do get your own lifetimes, you'll get used to gaining your memories back and stuff. It's funny because it's almost like you never age-your mind is constantly returning to that state of maturity and just stays there."