life

Opening her eyes slowly, Sakiko is met with the sight of Hershel smiling down at her.

"Well, welcome back," he greets.

Swallowing the dryness out of her mouth, Sakiko wonders, "How long was I out?"

"You were out for a little over a week," Hershel answers.

Stunned, Sakiko blinks a few times. Hershel pats her arm, standing from his chair without his crutches- surprising the girl even more.

"I'll go get Daryl," he tells her, walking away on two feet.

As he walks to the door, Sakiko scoots to the edge of her bed, taking note of the artificial leg that was keeping him going.

"Huh.." she breathes, leaning back into her pillow.

Her body feels stiff and she chuckles a little as she could almost hear Nanami or Daryl picking on her for staying still for once. She twiddles her thumbs a little as she waits in silence. For once, her head felt clear and open. Maybe all she needed was a long.. long.. long sleep.

The quietness is broken as she hears loud boots stomping up the stairs and down the hall. A smile grows on Sakiko's lips- knowing the sound of Daryl's footsteps better than anyone.

She only recognized Shinsuke and Nanami's footsteps in the past. Nanami was a given from how much they walked together, but Shinsuke was out of fear. That's when she pretended to be asleep or hide somewhere. To hear someone's footsteps and smile out of recognition felt nice to Sakiko.

"Kiko.." Daryl exhales, putting one knee on her bed to be close, "You're awake."

"I am," she nods, stretching her right arm until it hits the wall, "Beauty sleep and all."

"This world don't care about looks, don't do that to me again," he tells her.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment and say thank you for calling me pretty," she pokes his leg.

Daryl huffs out a laugh, taking her hand in his and rubbing her arm with his free one. She keens at the contact, feeling safer than ever.

"Where's Nana?" she wonders.

Daryl's grip on her hand tightens.

"Or Merle?"

Again, tighter.

Sakiko wriggles her fingers and Daryl shakes his head, easing up with a soft 'sorry'.

There's a cold feeling in the air and Sakikio pushes herself to sit up- surprised with the lack of pain in her back.

"Daryl?" she asks.

"How about you get some more rest-"

"I've been asleep for a week," she recalls Hershel's words, "What's going on?"

Daryl bows his head, unable to meet her eyes. He places his free hand over hers, a tear falling from his face.

"Daryl?" she asks again.

His shoulders begin to shake as he cries- tears welling up in Sakiko's eyes in fear.

--

"He did it for you. Merle.. I didn't think he'd find his way back. But, he did. He saved you and gave us a chance," Daryl explains.

Sakiko stares blankly at the grave for Merle Dixon.

Her mind had gone from tranquility to a war zone as it replayed the scene of the Woodbury attack.

The Governor coming out of seemingly nowhere and grabbing Merle.. Merle jumping in front of that shot to save Sakiko.. It all came back at once.

When she remembered the look in his eyes as he slid the blade toward her, Sakiko looks away from Merle's grave.

With tear-filled eyes, Sakiko looks to Nanami's grave.

Her lip trembles, her body suddenly feeling weak. Daryl kneels beside her, tucking her in a hug.

"They were on their way back.. They ran into some other guys on the road- ones that were there when you and Merle.." Daryl sighs.

Sakiko collapses into Daryl's arms, sobs retching from her mouth uncontrollably as she struggles to breathe. Her hair sticks to her face, her fingers clutching Daryl's sleeve- she was relying on him more than ever.

"Rick said there was about ten of 'em.. Nanami gave Glenn and Carl the bags Hershel needed to do your surgery and just.."

Sakiko almost couldn't hear him as the cries spilled from her- sounding more like screams of help in her grief.

"I went back for him but he was gone.. I brought him and Merle back together and.." Daryl trails off, motioning to the graves.

His words fall short, tear streaks of his own making their way down his cheeks. He could only hold his girl close- she was all he had left now. He felt void the entire time she was out. Alone.

"M-my brother is d-dead," Sakiko hiccups, a pitiful weep following.

Daryl shushes her, patting her head to keep her in his chest. He rocks them back and forth between the graves of their brothers, kissing her head and anything he could to comfort her.

Sakiko only cries.