"Is that how you measure it?" I leaned forth, a foreign marvel simmering in me. "The strength of a soul?"

He tilted his head to stare at me. His eyes were narrow, and beside the usual humor lingering in his golden irises lay a shared wonder, like the joy of an artisan whispering his craft to a stranger. It was difficult to meet an enchanter in Ashaba; if they weren't all dead in a ditch already, it was even more unlikely for two to meet. But that depended on Erhan's lifespan too, and by the ease he handled the situation with, I assumed he had done this before.

A chill brushed my skin. What was there to live for? And why did he so vehemently evade that question?

"No," he said finally, sharing another smile. "But if I were to make contact with the strongest soul in the empire, I would know."

"And? Who is it?"

The sun cast its discreet luster on the palace, washing the stone structures in a deep burgundy. It was just like in Metsuva, the only beauty the emperor and his court couldn't hog all to themselves. The garden's colors throbbed, and my anticipating eyes were starting to water.

At last, Erhan leaned back. "Have you heart of Zhen of Khuyal?"

I stilled. It felt as if the fleeting winter's ice had returned once more to freeze my limbs, even while my pulse raged. Names were never something I cared to remember; they were often pretentiously long and belonged to people that would disappear a week or two later. Yet that one had been carved into my memory.

My heart nearly jumped out of my throat as I held his gaze. "Yes."

Erhan raised his brows. "Colored me impressed. Have you met him?"

"Yes," I repeated, breathless. "He threatened me. He threatened you!"

"Ah, wonderful!"

"Which part of that was wonderful?"

"At least this will be interesting. Stealing souls for a living gets a little dull sometimes."

I wiped a shaky hand across my face, wrestling with my mind and trying very hard not to snap at the man.

"I made a few inquiries while you were trying to look human again," he continued as he examined the arm of his chair. "One of his ancestors once married the empress. Some of the older nobles here still perceive his clan as the greatest."

"Why would he need to threaten us, then?"

"They fell from power quite harshly, as far as I have gathered." He huffed a laugh and turned to look at me. "Nearly nobody respects his family anymore. Consider yourself lucky."

Nothing about this situation can be considered lucky, I wanted to say. I shifted in my seat as a wave of unease washed over me. "He told me about a plan of yours. I think he believes there's something for you to steal."

"How brilliant. You are telling me I will walk out of Keiha Palace with a soul and unlimited wealth?"

The only possible reply to his greed was a scoff. "And how will that help me?" I muttered, picking on the skin of my fingers.

Erhan shook his head in disbelief. "Is it not obnoxiously obvious?"

"Not really."

"All the man wants is to get his family back on their high pedestal. It is almost as if he would do anything."

"And anything includes giving up his soul?"

He hung his arms across the armchair's spine. "I am open to other suggestions."