[Tessa]

Liam went back home and took a shower; he just could not bear to sit in that bath-tub without Charlie to hold him.

It was Monday evening again, and he had the worst  déjà vu  in his life, as his stomach was in a heavy ball again. He tried to relax on the sofa and watch the news channels, but Harry's excited rendering of snow stories about their ski weekend in the Alps was unbearable tonight, even more so as the energetic young man was adamant to show him multimedia of their hotel room, and snow hills, and multiple cups of tea. 

Carol was sulking and was very quiet, seemingly reading an article on her e-reader.

- I am going out, guys.  –  he said in the end, feeling extremely restless and annoyed.

- Do I wanna know?  –  she huffed.

- No.  –  he stared at her face briefly.

***

The taxi would not get into the alley where the club was  –  the driver said that it was a one-way street, which was a ridiculous excuse in this neighborhood, and Liam saw traces of fear in his face. He paid and vaguely wondered if he too should be here at all.

He walked up to the entrance slowly; there were the usual couple of bikers at the front, who glared at him with curiosity, and he vaguely overheard one of them commenting that this was  "Charlie's boy or something.",  so he hurried inside, wrapping himself in Charlie's coat, suddenly feeling cold.

The only people inside were Tessa behind the bar  –  it seemed that she lived there  –  and Pam and Johnny, who were setting up the stage, untangling cables and getting their instruments ready. It was already dark outside, but in fact it was still too early; Liam took a glimpse at his phone  –  7:30 in the evening. He remembered that Charlie had told him he usually came at 8.

Pam frowned, and Johnny grinned, but neither said anything. 

Tessa, however, squealed:

- Oho! Welcome, young sir! Where is Charlie? Is he coming up too?  –  she peeked behind his shoulder, as he now sat heavily at the bar.

- No. Hi.  Good evening.  –  Liam said sadly.

- Why the long face? What is happening with you two?! Last week Charlie was literally spiraling! I had never seen him drink so much!!!  –  she huffed, drying up some glasses now.

- It is... complicated.  –  he mumbled, not daring to look up, remembering it all too well.

- Aha. Complicated. Yea, Charlie is that. Complicated –  she grinned.  –  Sooo, what's your poison?

- Huh?  –   he now stared at her, confused.

- What's it gonna be? Beer? Whiskey? Milk?   –  she laughed, hands on her waist.

- Oh. Oh! Coffee, please!  –   he grinned now.

She winked at him and got to it.

- What's your name, honey? If you are coming here for the third time, it means things are kinda serious for Charlie, am I right?  –   she laughed heartily.  –  He never brings anyone back. It's all just one-night shit with him.

Liam overheard Johnny snort in the back of the club  –  it was quiet still, and their words were clearly heard.

- Can we have some music on, please?  –  he begged.  –   It's been a rough couple of days.

- Sure, kid!  –  she raised an eyebrow.  –  What's your preference?

- You choose. Charlie trusts you, so I trust you.  –   he said without thinking, and quickly bit his lip, blushing.

- Oooh?  –  she looked at him openly, smirking, too pleased with the answer  -  and putting on some crazy old-fashioned rock'n'roll from the 20th century.

- My name is Liam.  –  he said shyly, now that there was some background noise.

She nodded, looking quickly at the couple musicians on the stage.

- Is it really? Just Liam?  Is that all? Is that your real name?   –   she laughed a little, serving him the mug of hot coffee.

- Haha, no! Yes. I mean...  -  he blurted out.  –   I mean, it is my real name. Liam Xavier. Pleased to meet you!

- Well, well, what a fancy name! You sound like royalty!   -  she grinned, but her eyes shone.  –  You can call me Tess, sweetie. Everybody does.

- Yes, Ma'am.  –  he smiled, sipping on the hot drink with pleasure.  –   Mmm, this is really good, Tess!

- Ahhhh, flattery will get your bony ass far, boy! I see that Charlie has changed. Hmmm...  you are not his usual type at all.  –  she was now staring at him judgingly from head to toe.  –  That skinny rat has not even told me he is into boys too...  -  she scoffed.

- I... -  Liam blushed.  –  I think it was... it is... new for him too.

Tessa saw that he got sad again and frowned. 

This was a good boy right here, and she really wanted someone kind for Charlie, finally. She looked critically at Liam's simple white tee and awful beige corduroys; he looked like a totally uncool nerd, especially compared to Charlie's fabulous looks. 

But then, Charlie had chosen him. He absolutely and genuinely suffered last week because he wasn't here with him, she was sure of it.

****

NOTE: