35: pope's cross ☆

Start from the beginning

"Is he allergic?" Ricky asked.

"Clearly," Kiara said, looking down at the Heyward boy who was laying on the table.

"A beehive worth of wasps," John B told him.

"Raise his legs," JJ instructed.

"What's his name?" Ricky asked, still looking down at his new patient.

"Pope. Pope Heyward," Emerson answered before the rest of the pogues did.

"Hey, Pope." Ricky looked down at him for a second before looking up at the group. "Hang tight. I gotta get my kit," Ricky told them then he walked away.

"Go help," John B told JJ.

Emerson held onto Pope's hand looking down at him. There were tears in her eyes and she couldn't stop them from forming. That feeling in her stomach reappeared again and she felt sick, but she wasn't going to leave Pope's side, not until she knew he'd be okay.

"Focus on your breathing," Kiara told Pope as Ricky came running out of the back room.

"What does it look like?" JJ yelled from the other room.

"Like a duffel bag!" The pogues yelled at him for not knowing where his kit was. Seconds later he came out with the bag in hand. "I got it! I got it."

"What do we do now?" JJ asked.

"You don't do anything 'cause you're not a paramedic," Ricky replied. Everyone watched as he reached into his bag, searching for the right bottle. He prepared the shot, trying to ignore everyone's eyes on him. "Here's the thing. This is a pediatric dose of epinephrine," Ricky told them.

"Will that be enough?" Emerson asked.

"He's not a kid," Kiara said, sounding annoyed with JJ's cousin.

"It is ten times a normal dose," Ricky told them. "So if... if it doesn't stop his heart, it'll help him."

"If it doesn't stop his heart?" Emerson repeated, now she really felt sick to her stomach. She put her hand over her stomach, hoping to keep herself from getting sick in JJ's cousin's house.

"I gotta use the whole thing, or it won't work," Rick continued. "And I'm not going down if he dies."

"Okay! Fine! Do it!" JJ yelled.

"Some paramedic," Emerson scoffed.

Ricky nodded, then turned his attention back to Pope. "All right Pope, hang in there buddy." He told him as she slowly pushed the needle into Pope's arm. "Okay, um, that's it."

"Now what?" Sarah asked.

"Now we wait," Ricky replied.

They all got quiet and stared at Pope, waiting for him to wake up, but he didn't. He was laying completely still and he wasn't trying to talk and he wasn't struggling to breathe, he was just laying there.

"You killed him."

"No."

"Yes, you did!" Kiara yelled.

"I didn't do shit."

"What did you do?" Kiara yelled looking up at Ricky.

"I did exactly what you asked me to do," Ricky reminded her.

"Please," Kiara started sobbing, "Please! Pope, please, come on!"

"Pope, come on bro," JJ said, trying to wake him up.

Emerson stepped backwards, and Sarah moved with her. Sarah could see the fear in Emerson's eyes and wished there was something she could do to help. Emerson still had her hand on her stomach but Sarah frowned, taking her hand, giving it a quick squeeze.