Chapter 9 - A New Home

Ava

We were currently on the plane. I was sitting quietly, reading a novel.

Ace was sitting next to me on the window seat. I knew how much he loved the window seat, so I didn't argue with him about that. Besides, I preferred to read novels whenever I needed some peace. My favorite genre was Romance, though I read all genres as long as it kept me hooked till the end.

While flipping over the next page, my eyes shifted to Ace. He was engrossed in work, busy doing something on his laptop. I stole a glance at the screen, only to find he was reading some kind of contract. On the way, my eyes also did the honor of glancing at his lips.

I jerked my head and decided to not even think about the kiss from last night since Ace pretended like it never happened. All I knew was I had to keep my thoughts clean and straight. Even though he was now my husband in the eyes of the world, he was just my best friend in real life, nothing else. I would not think about anything else with him except our friendship. Absolutely not!

"What's going on in your mind?" Ace asked, snapping me out of my trance. He was looking at me now, instead of his laptop screen.

"Nothing. I just needed a break from reading at a stretch," I lied bluntly. I couldn't tell him that I was thinking of how to not be more than friends with him.

He raised his brows. "You needed a break from reading a novel? Seriously? Since when?"

I sighed. "Please, at least I read novels. Look at you, reading some boring contracts," I pointed out.

"Well, despite this being a 'boring' contract, it's keeping me entertained. Unlike you, who got bored by reading a novel."

I could see the smirk on his face. I couldn't even lie to Ace properly. Why did I even say I needed a break from reading? Now, he was making fun of me, of course.

I rolled my eyes and averted my gaze to the novel I was reading. It was pointless to make a point while talking with him because he always had more points than me!

To divert the topic, I spoke up, "I was just thinking about the conditions you said you were going to tell me after our wedding."

"Oh, that? I'll tell you when we get home. I need to think about it more."

"What are you planning, nuclear bomb formula? What's there to think about so much?"

"Well, I do need to cover everything. Unless you don't mind me adding conditions whenever I want."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure. Do what you want." I didn't even care at this point. He couldn't seriously be wanting to impose impossible conditions on me, now would he? It's Ace, after all.

"Okay. But you can't take that back."

I gave him a thumbs up and started to read my novel again.

"Anyway, Ava," he called out. I hummed in response, not looking in his direction as he continued, "Mom is going crazy to meet you as her daughter-in-law. At least that's what she said when she texted me a few minutes ago. She also said Emma, Aunt Chloe, and Grandma are eagerly waiting for you, too. What magic have you done ever since you met them for the first time?"

I chuckled. "I don't know, but maybe no one can ever dislike me. I have that charisma." I flipped the hair over my shoulder to my back to show off. "But I am so excited to meet them too, especially Emma." Emma was his younger sister, who was in her sweet sixteen. Though she was a little introverted, we had a great bond. "Where is Liliana, though? And Grandpa?"