Chapter 14: Boiling Point

- One month later... -

A month has passed since the defeat of Shogunate forces in Nazuchi Beach. It naturally humiliated the Tenryou Commission and the entire Shogunate Army was shaken from the loss. (Katsuo) along with his disciples quickly moved to reestablish spirit and discipline across the ranks. They couldn't afford to have their troops be vulnerable now especially with the Fatui sneaking around Inazuma, stealing anything they see as valuable and generally being invasive to Inazuma. (Katsuo) has considered a recall of the enenra across Inazuma some time ago, but he thought that it isn't necessary just yet as the situation is still manageable despite them being stretched thin.

It is early morning in the city and the people are already up and about in their errands. The situation in Nakurami Island has stabilized, but (Katsuo) knows that it is only temporary. He senses that something big is about to happen and he intends to be prepared for it, but the fact the Signora is in the city, speaking with Kujou Takayuki as of now, is wasting his time.

He became ever more suspicious of the Fatui Harbinger. For a month, she disappeared from their watch, nowhere to be found. Now, she chose to appear to finally speak to the Shogun, although she opted to take her time to have a word with the Tenryou Commissioner. Something is not right.

Could Takayuki be colluding with the Fatui? If (Katsuo) finds out himself, he swears that he will personally pull him out of the comfort of his Estate and strip him of his rank and honor. The Fatui has nothing good to offer Inazuma, that much is certain to the elder enenra, and he will not tolerate any form of cooperation between the Tri-Commission and the Fatui.

(Katsuo) is snapped out of his thoughts when he noticed Omura approaching him. He has called for Omura, the most available one of his disciples, to meet him here in front of the gates of Tenshukaku for a report on his tasks.

"Master. Me and several Tenryou Commission officers have detained some individuals suspected of working with the Sangonomiya rebels, but none of them gave anything useful yet. I'm afraid that we haven't gotten anywhere to tracking down whoever attacked our troops in Kannazuka Island." Omura informed him. "As for the Fatui Harbinger..."

"Don't bother. I know where she is. She's in the Kujou Estate." (Katsuo) said. "Hmph. To think that she has decided to reappear now of all times... She's definitely up to something." He muttered.

"Should I watch over her, Master?" Omura asked. (Katsuo) shook his head.

"No. I'll watch over her myself. You continue your watch over the outskirts of the city and make sure that no unauthorized Fatui enters the city — dispatch them if you have to." (Katsuo) told the disciple who nodded.

"I just noticed now that we have been working more overly lately, Master. We've been showing ourselves and working with the Tri-Commission more often than we used to before years ago." Omura commented. (Katsuo) was silent for a moment.

"... Some things don't last, young man. If we are to remain relevant to this day and age, then we need to learn how to adapt, and adapt better." (Katsuo) told Omura.

Just as they talked about their duties, they notice Kujou Sara walking out of Tenshukaku with a couple of guards escorting her. (Katsuo) wondered what could be her reason for a moment as she is supposed to be tending to military matters especially now after the defeat that they sustained in Nazuchi Beach. After another moment of pondering and remembering the date, he understood that Sara is heading back to the Grand Narukami Shrine for her yearly visit.

"Kujou Sara." (Katsuo) called out to her, catching her attention.

"Master (Katsuo)." Sara greeted with a nod.