A dashing young man welcoming her with a boyish grin.

A delicious meal refreshing her stomach

Light banter filling the silence.

Sweet music injecting the background with a romantic vibe.

But like smoke in the wind, the memory and images all floated away and she was left with the painful reality.

She was no longer young. 

A grinning young man wasn't welcoming her.

All she saw was the face of a man who caressed her with his words but burned her with his actions.

The queasiness in her stomach increased and the savory smell wafting in the air suffocated her.

The only music in the background was the chatters and laughter of the other occupants in the restaurant.

She skidded to a stop in front of the table and gripped her bag.

Gerald rose and sent her a nervous smile. He rushed to her side and pulled out a chair for her to sit.

Dora muttered a thank you and slipped into the chair. Her eyes followed him until he returned to his seat.

Their eyes connected briefly before Dora flickered her eyes away to the gold tablecloth.

Gerald cleared his throat. "Would you like to order something?"

She straightened and slowly looked at him. Discomfort climbed up her spine as his eyes bore into her.

She opened her mouth to speak when a loud female voice interrupted.

"Oh my God, look who found their way back! I thought I will never see this day."

Dora and Gerald turned to the owner of the voice and their face lit up in recognition.

An old woman with snow-white hair stood before them, grinning from ear to ear.  Her wrinkled hand clutched a walking stick.

"Mama Josie!" They exclaimed with excitement and shot up from their seats.

A gold tooth sparkled as she grinned wider.  "Come here and give me a hug." She spread out her arms.

Dora smiled and happily went into her arms. The sweet fragrance of lavender mixed with vanilla tickled her nose. A sigh of satisfaction left her lips. It felt good to be embraced by someone she considered to be her mother. 

She stiffened as Gerald drew closer; she breathed in sharply as his arm brushed her.

"How is Uncle Joe?" Gerald asked as they pulled back.

"Ahh, poor Joe went to be with the Lord five years ago." A glint of sadness clouded the woman's eyes.

"I am sorry to hear that!"

"I am sorry for your loss!" Dora muttered as her face contorted into a look of pain. She mourned a man who acted as a father figure in her life.

The woman gave a dismissive wave. "He is in a better place now." Her thin lips formed into a contented smile. "Anyway, you both better sit down and tell me what you have been up to. There better be a valid reason for not stopping by all these years." She huffed.

Dora withheld a grimace and returned to her seat. She was in no way prepared for the questions that may come up.

From the corner of her eye, she watched Gerald send the woman a charming smile but his eyes remained expressionless.

"So tell me, where did you both disappear to?" The woman placed her two hands on her walking stick and glared at them.  "I used to peer out the window every Thursday waiting for you guys to bound up the stairs hand in hand but you guys never showed up. Why is that?" Her eyes narrowed at them.