CHAPTER ONE: DANGEROUS TYPE

Start from the beginning

They need this flower order for this huge wedding. The bouquets have to be done by tonight to be picked up tomorrow, not that Dahlia is stressed or anything.

She pushes the door open and finds Wanda behind the counter already starting on the bouquets.

"Ugh, you're an angel, Wanda."

"I got this idea while I was high-"

"No!" Dahlia barks. "No ideas. We stick to her color scheme or she'll lose her fucking mind and I can't deal with anymore phonecalls or emails from that bitch."

Wanda rolls her eyes.

"Fine," she sighs. "Hi, by the way."

"Hey." Dahlia puts her bag in the back and her bottle of Mountain Dew on the table. Wanda eyes it with suspicion and Dahlia rolls her eyes. "Don't start."

"I just don't understand why you can't drink coffee."

"Because this tastes better," Dahlia replies as she walks into her office and replaces her lavender t-shirt with the black polo shirts her dad always wanted the staff to wear. She's the only one who actually wears them. It's just a way for her to feel closer to her dad. Wanda wears whatever she wants.

"Is this the new flavor you're obsessed with?"

"Uh-huh. Major Melon."

Wanda shakes her head, chuckling softly.

"I don't know how your teeth haven't fallen out."

"Hey!" Dahlia laughs as she pulls her long, dark hair into a ponytail. "I'm not going to take shit from someone who still uses patchouli oil as perfume when we go to the club!"

"It smells nice!"

"No it doesn't, Wanda!" Her face falls and Dahlia rolls her eyes. "You know what I mean! You could buy any perfume, and you choose to smell like a hippy's armpit."

"Go fuck yourself," Wanda laughs. "I like it."

"Well, I guess you're the one person in the world who does."

Dahlia pulls up the bridezilla's information and pictures on the computer while Wanda puts on some music and actually opens the store. They don't get a lot of street traffic, but they try to look as welcoming as possible, with bright bouquets tucked close to the building. Sometimes Dahlia catches people stealing flowers and runs out with her fist raised screaming at them to put them back while Wanda watches from the window with a huge grin on her face. It usually scares them into giving whatever they stole back.

The morning goes by slowly. Putting together this order is tedious. Dahlia wishes she had a little more creativity, but she literally can't afford it right now. She and Wanda put the bouquets together exactly as the drawing that was given to them. Wanda keeps trying to deviate from the color scheme, but Dahlia insists that they need the money from this wedding. They're making 12 bouquets, 10 corsages, 10 boutonnieres, and 24 centerpieces for tables. It's a massive order that'll pay the rent for a month and then some.

"How big is this fucking wedding?" Wanda mutters as she wraps one of the bouquets in a pearlescent white ribbon that the bride requested.

"Who cares?" Dahlia laughs. "It's enough to pay both of us plus rent."

"Thank God," Wanda whispers. "I can't borrow any more money from my brother."

"Sorry," Dahlia whispers.

Wanda looks at her and shakes her head.

"It's fine, Dahlia. You're just going through a rough patch. It'll get better."