chapter 3.

( Word count: 1056 ) Maddy's POV:

After the last incident with Bobby, Jim and I have been debating if we should go back or not. I keep saying we should but he disagrees. I kept going anyways, I don't wanna regret not going if something was to happen to him. I tried to convince Jim to go but he wouldn't budge. I think he still feels bad.

" Camp summer position. Driver; Taxi. Hey, that might be good. You could get your license this summer." my mom suggests.
" Oh, yeah, Mom. That sounds really great." I reply. " Hey, get your own job, and if you don't get it this summer you're gonna come and work with me at the hotel." she yells. I roll my eyes.
" Mom, please. Why are you so worried about this? Do I even ask you for money?" I say.
" No, I'm not worried about the money. I want you to have responsibility. I don't want you running around the streets of New York with some boys i've barely met." she argues. I sigh,
" I know."

" Idle time is the devil's plaything, Maddy." she says. " The devil's plaything, huh?" I smile.
" Mm-hmm." she mutters. That might be a cool title for Jim's first book, I thought. " Here." she says setting down a plate of food. " Ma, I'm not really that hungry this morning, alright?" I say, standing up. " Come on. You gotta eat something." she argues. " Yeah, yeah. I know."
We hear a sudden knock on the door. I smile knowing it's Jim. I start to head out before,
" Where are you going?" she asks." I'm going out with Jim." I smile. She sighs and slightly shakes her head. I shrug and head out.

Jim and I had planned to play some ball then meet the guys. We walked to the nearest ballpark talking about whatever came to mind. Mostly dumb shit but, honestly, but when are we not talking about stupid shit?

We sat in silence as Jim took notes in his little diary or whatever the fuck. Y'know I probably wouldn't make fun of him for having a diary if he'd actually let me read it. He's only let me read a few poems that he's wrote. He even let me help him with one once.

" What are you writing about now?" I ask. Without hesitation he replies, "You." I slightly smile. " Really?" I ask again. He nods. Once again, everything goes silent 'till I hear the sound of footsteps coming towards us.

" Hey, white boy, you ready for your beating?" I hear. Jim looks up, " Don't let your mouth get you into something your ass can't handle." He smirks. " I'll shoot you for it." The guy says, shooting a basket. Jim smiles standing up, " So it's gonna be like that, huh?" He laughs.

I watched as he got up smiling. I knew I would be waiting a long while. I wasn't mad about it though, he actually looked really happy. About twenty minutes into the game I already wanted to leave, he hadn't looked or even acknowledged me since that guy showed up. I was about to leave 'till I saw Mickey, Neutron, and Pedro walking up. " Yo, Jim. What's the score? Come on. We got to go." Mickey yells from a far. I smile at the sight of them and quickly run up to them. " They've been playing for at least an hour." I say over exaggerating a little. Neutron signs, " Jim, come on. We're gonna loose the sun." Mickey yells again. He doesn't say anything but just continues playing. " He's being a dick. Want me to put a charge in his ass? Watch this. Oh, look, right here." Mickey chuckles. He looks down to see Jim's notebook he left. " Are you serious, Mickey? Come on. " I roll my eyes. Mickey smiles as he picks up the notebook.

" Jim's secret diary he's always writing in. Bet you he wrote some shit about me. Oh, right here. 'Spring Mickey. Hey, there I am, Jim says. Mickey takes out a bottle of carbonic cleaning fluid an suggests we go a little sniffing to get high. Whoo! After four deep whiffs, we're sailing someplace else." Mickey laughs, changing the tone in his voice as he reads along. " Hey, Mickey, What are you doing?" Jim yells walking towards us. I look at him and shrug. Mickey continues reading, " Bells ringing through my ears, little light flashing through my eyes." He continues. " Mickey, put that down, all right?" Jim yells pointing a finger at him. " I pictured myself paddling myself across a river with black water, only the canoe was going backwards instead of forwards, with clouds that had faces. Laughing, spooky, fun-house laughs that wouldn't stop.." Mickey laughs. Jim snaches the book from his hand, " Give it back, all right? " He yells.
" What is that shit?" Mickey asks. " Why do you have to be such a schmuck, Mickey?" Once again, Jim yells angrily. " What are you talking about? " Mickey asks, trying to sound clueless. " Don't you ever touch that again. It's private. What's your problem? " Jim sighs giving him a dirty look and walking back towards the guy.
" I'm sorry. He's writing about me, I can't read it? Jesus! Hey, Jim. Come on, We're gone." Mickey yells. " Yo. We got a cab!" I yell at Jim. The four of us go chasing after the cab, leaving Jim.

JIM'S POV:

" So, Shakespeare, you going to finish the game?" Reggie asks. " C'mon, Reggie. Y'know this game never ends. See you later, all right?" I smile.

MADDY'S POV:

Every crowd has it's little games to prove if you're a punk or not. Jim's cousin in Jersey plays chickie, which is two cars heading towards each other at about 80 miles per hour. First driver to swerve out of the way is, of course, chicken. In Brooklyn, they make you press a lit cigarette into your arm and have it burn all the way down to the filter without the slightest flinch. Us Manhattan kids, we jump off cliffs into the Harlem River, which is literally shitty because about a half a million toilets get flushed into it every day.

AN; this has to be the shortest chapter have ever written. I will definitely have another one out today or tmrw. thank you for reading <3