chapter 1.

( Word count: 2500 )

Maddy's POV:

Saturday night, Fall of 65'

I slightly smile as I stare into New York's night sky. The place where dreams are made of. The place where everyone moves to escape their boring old life, to start new. Hoping to make it somewhere, anywhere.

The sun had set not long ago and dinner was almost ready. After we ate my mum was going out with a friend, and my dad wouldn't be home 'til 9. Which means I'd have the house to myself for at least an hour. "Maddy!" I hear. I didn't answer, but turned to see if my mum was in my room looking for me. She wasn't. Which meant I had a few more minutes 'til she was. I climbed back into my window and got ready for dinner.

After Dinner —

I stare out the kitchen window as I finish up washing dishes.
" I better be off before I'm late," My mum says grabbing her keys, slightly surprising me.
" Okay, i love you." I mumble. " Love you too." she whispers giving me a hug. I smile as I watch her walk out the door.

— Sunday morning, fall of 65'.

I woke up to the unpleasant sound of an old woman yelling. I open my eyes and roll over. I couldn't make any sense of what she was saying. Not that tried nor cared. I hear the loud but quiet foot steps of my moms coming up towards my room. I quickly sit up and pretend like i'm just about to get out of bed. She opens the door and walks in looking irritated.
" Maddy, you're not gonna waste the whole day lying around, are you? Come on." She yells.
" Yeah ma, I'm up. The loony alarm went off." I sigh. " Well, close the blinds. Don't look at her, don't listen to her." She tells me." How could I not?" I question her. The lady continues yelling, " Jesus the Nazarene. Mary the whore. Mary the hairdresser. Mary the hairdresser. Our father, Who art,"

The lady getting interrupted, I hear,
" Hey lady, shut up!" must be Jim. I slightly smile at the thought of him.

Jim is my best friend — along with Mickey, Neutron, and Pedro, of course. I have love for all of them, but Jim's definitely my best friend. We practically do everything together, and for the most part, we're always together. I've known him since we were 5. I like to say I know him better then anyone.

— Monday morning, fall of 65'.

*btw i'm aware that Jim went to an all boys Catholic school, but I decided for the story to have both boys and girls at this school. also to have both boys and girls wear suits bc yes*

I yawn as I get ready for school. I quickly get dressed in our stupid schools reqired uniform. If i'm being honest the suit is pretty cool. Other than that, our school's shit.
Jim and I have been wanting to get outta that shithole for as long as I can remember, but at this point we have no chance in that. I walk from my room to see if anyones awake. I see no one but if I had to guess, mum was out late so she's probably super tired and dad's at work. He's basically never home so most of the time he's at work anyways. I make myself a piece of toast before heading out to see if Jim's home before school.

I climb out my window and run up the stairs to the next floor up. I get to Jim's window and knock. It takes a minute but he finally pops up. He looks at me with a confused face. Slightly smiling, I dramatically yell, " Hurry up and open the window before I fall down 3 stories." I knock on the window again. He smiles and opens the window. He holds out his hand,
" Hurry up idiot." He chuckles. I take his hand.

There's about 20 minutes 'till school starts so we start walking. Jim wraps his arm around my shoulder, " So, you coming to the game after school?" He asks. " I wouldn't miss it,"  I say giving him a slight smile. " Good. I'm gonna need you cheering me on today."  He says. I could almost hear his smirk without even looking at him. " How do you know I'd cheer for you? What about the other team? I hear they're pretty good. " I smile.
" Come on. Who else would you cheer for?" Jim sarcastically remarks. " I mean.. Mickey?" I say. He blankly stares at me. " I was joking. No way!" I laugh. " That's what I thought." He mutters.