Preface - Reading Instructions

Author's note:

Instruction on how to read this story:

 I think it is better if you skip this part and just read the prologue and put together everything on your own.  And then come back and read this after the prologue.  The experience is more authentic that way.  However, if you are not an adventurous person, this will explain how the story works.  

You see, for most of you, when you read this story, it will be like watching a 3D movie for the first time, it will be chaotic and disorienting at first, but once you get used to the new way information is presented to you, I guarantee that you will experience something unique, which I hope you will enjoy, but you might not.

Every word written in this story is from the perspective of Phil, a guy who will find himself having to make some tough decisions in various horrible situations.  All conversations are recorded from Phil's perspective. All the thoughts are his.  Everything in "double quotes" are conversations, and everything in *asterisk* is a sound effect.  So *pop* is a gun shot, and *bwak* is someone getting punched in the face.  

In this story, everything that is described is something that Phil noticed.  And it is described from the perspective of what is noticeable to him.  So while there might be a blue curtain flowing like the surface of the sea on a windy summer night in the living room, to Phil, all that information is irrelevant.  If anything, he might just notice the sun glare coming through the curtain, which he can use by placing himself so that the glare will blind an attacker for a split second during a physical confrontation.  But if thinks the curtain is of no use, he won't note it in his mind.

You will find that Phil will recap the events that has occur between chapter.  I will do my best to try to make them reasonable and within the context of his thoughts.  Please feel free to leave a comment on any part of the story that you feel doesn't fit into the context of a man talking to himself in his head.

I will also be attempting to describe the thoughts of a man in combat.  Which, unlike what we have been led to believe in traditional writing, there isn't time for complex analysis in a physical confrontation.  You don't get to enjoy the sensory details of a fight.  You don't notice the cool smooth grip of the baseball bat in your hand or the sickening crunch of the attack'ers face when you make contact with the bat.  Stuff like that is what makes good writing come alive, but that is not what I am going for.  

I am hoping to put you in the shoes of what a real life and death struggle is like, not to describe to you how it would feels like.  There is no elaborate dance of death.  Survival hand-to-hand combat in real life is quick and brutal.  It is about aggression and raising the level of violence higher than your opponent.  When you are in the moment, you don't think.  For example, in a fight, your brain doesn't think I am going to raise my left hand to block your incoming strike, and then I am going to counter punch with a right hook.  No, everything happens with minimal conscious input, most of it is instinctual reaction based on your training.  Those who train to master the craft of fighting hopes to slow the fight down mentally enough so they can make some small calculated actions.  This is what goes what actually go through your brain in the previous example.  Threat, left, incoming punch, left hand, block, shift weight, counter, right hook, temple.  I will do my best to allow you to experience this excitment.

Disclaimer: There is a lot of strong languge used in this story because that is what is going on inside Phil's head.  This story is absolutely not for children, as there are intense violence and language used throughout the story.  

Thank you for taking time to enter this experience with me. Hopefully I won't disappoint you.  Now, open your mind and please enjoy the show.

- Yiman W.