The unfateful day

Start from the beginning

Vlad woke me up at seven by howling like a rouge. My eyes felt heavy like someone placed the universe over them. But got up because I knew there was no way I am getting any more sleep. I cleaned up dressed and went down for breakfast. My parents were already there and when I entered the kitchen they scream at the top of their lungs "Happy Sixteenth birthday!!!!" and it felt like my ears were about to blast.

"Oh my God. Quiet down you two. It's morning what you want to wake the entire town now." I said still covering my ears.

"Of course! We want everyone to wake up and know MY SON IS GOING TO FIND HIS MATE TODAY." My dad said practically screaming the last part. And I'm officially embarrassed, with their werewolf hearing I think half of the town might have heard that.

"Our son." My mom added.

"Keep it down you, guys. It's not like it's gonna happen today. I've just turned sixteen it does not mean I'll find my mare today. You guys met for the first time when you were eighteen. And who knows even if I pass by my mate and he or she is still under sixteen I'd not know. So be realistic." I said frowning.

"What are you talking about Owen Westwood? You know even the alpha and Luna are waiting to hear the good news. You know how excited Luna is for you?" my mom said looking straight into my eyes. Both my parents are lawyers and manage all the legal things for alpha and pack. And they are pretty close to them. And hence it is no surprise that my mom must have told Luna about me turning sixteen.

"what is in the breakfast today? It smells amazing." I said trying to change the subject.

"Your favorite Pancakes and also Bischoff cheesecake." My mom said.

And I drooled. I grabbed a plate and stuffed my mouth with the food. I could not stop and ended up overeating and now it is hard to even take a step. but I gather my courage and walk into my room.

I have to go to school at 12 because of the combat training and it is just nine in the morning, so I have some time on my hand. I decided to pay a visit to the local book store that is one block away from my home. I grabbed my mobile and walled and head out. In moments I was there standing before a rundown store that is as silent as a graveyard, even though it is located on the main road there are only a couple of people in the store. The store is doing good, many people visit the store but I guess it is still very early and it is not weekends.

I enter the store and Mrs. Stephwell's eyes sparkle when she sees me. I'm a regular there. What can I say, I love to read. She practically runs to me and hugs me so tight I felt like my rib cage was going to break. And then she shouted yes she shouted even though she was in the bookstore and at that her own bookstore "Happy Birthday my lover boy."

I don't know about anyone else but my ears are paying today for me turning sixteen.

"Thank...You...can...you...plea..s...e...l...e...t...me...go...I...do...n...o...t...want...to...d...i...e...today." I said begging for air.

"Oh! Stop it you won't die with just a little love." she said while letting me go. "plus you have to get used to much more love now that you are going to meet your mate." She said with a smirk and then she started walking toward the counter but then she suddenly stopped and added while looking back. "if you know what I mean!" and her eyes had that mischievous look that I knew in a second what she meant.

Mrs. Stephwell is in her thirties. She is a werewolf too. She was born and raised here, her mate is also a pack member and they found each other when they were sixteen. She has tanned skin almost mocha; her hair is burgundy and her eyes hazel. She is well built just like any other wolf; thanks to our genes and the heavy training we go through at early age. She has curves that can get any man to slide off his heels.

"Please stop. I don't want to have the same conversation with every person I meet today." I said while making my way to the counter.

"Why? It is fun. And you get to be sixteen only once." she said enthusiastically.

"Ya... for you but for me it is getting boring. And it looks like you are the one turning sixteen, not me." I say with a smile.

"I wish I could..." she says dreamily.

"Btw anything new on the shelves?" I asked her.

"Oh! Glad you mention that." With that, she took out a gift-wrapped box from one of the closets behind the counter. And handed it to me.

"WOW...You really didn't have to. I'm too old for presents. If you wanna give me something give me the cash." I said painting at her like I'm holding a gun.

"Oh! Please one is never old for presents. And money does not have that personal touch." She said hitting my hand away. "Now open it up." She added.

I started tearing the wrapper and my eyes lit up as soon as saw what was inside. The hard copy of both books of Six of Crows.

"OMG...OMG...OMG." I shouted.

"Hey quite down. You are in the bookstore." She said imitating me.

"Thank you. Thank you so much. This is the best gift ever. Just look at these bad babies." I jumped and hugged her.

"I know you liked those," she said while patting on my back.

We talked for a while and then around eleven, I went home. I reached home and started to get ready for school. I wanted to wear something nice but as I'm only going for the combat training, I decided on a grey baggy t-shirt and skin-tight black shorts with brown shoes, it was not like anyone expected me to get dressed at school. No one cared there. Around 11:30 I was ready for the school and walked to the school ground.

My feet froze when I took the first step in the ground when the mesmerizing smell of cedarwood with mint and hint of cocoa hit me. I knew what this meant my mate was somewhere nearby. Vlad started to jump up and down, he was excited and aroused. This was the last thing I needed but maybe he or she might not be that bad, maybe he or she will understand. "it is not that bad." I say to myself. I know that there's no going back now if I can smell my mate, he or she can also smell me. And I cannot resist this enchanting fragrance so I start to follow it.

I made my way to the center of the field where most of the students from the junior year now seniors were standing in the groups. I walked past some people ad all the eyes were on me, they all knew I was turning sixteen and they all want to know who is the miserable creature destined to be my mate. I kept walking with my eyes fixed on the ground not to meet their eyes. I walked past most of the people and I was about to walk out of the ground when I hit my head to a wall-like figure. And put my hands on his chest to get some support to keep me from falling. I could feel the sparks fly at the points where my body touched his and I started to look up.

I was shocked, my eyes were teary and I took three steps back in fear when I saw his face. Jason Wolfe, he is Jason, he is my mate. I could not take it. While Vlad was jumping and screaming "Mate...Mate...Mate." I could not take it. I cannot accept this. I never will. So, I started to run, I ran past him out of the ground and into the woods. I was teary, I could not see clearly but I kept running as fast as I could as long as I could until I was out of breath.

This cannot happen to me. I cannot accept this. I do not deserve this.

Author's note:

They are mates...well we all saw that coming... I hope  Owen does not suffer much. 

sometimes Goddess can be so mean...