Chapter Eight

Começar do início

I walk over to Macy, snatching it out of her hand, and watch the punk that gave it to her scurry away. "What the hell is this Macy?" I whisper, not wanting the whole party to know she does this shit.

She snatches the shit back. "None of your damn business Adelaide." She walks off with the drugs, and I follow after her. She walks up the stairs of the party house, not knowing I was behind her.

I see an empty room of the house and grab her arm, yanking her into it and locking the door. "What the hell? Stop touching me. I told you that already."

"So you're worried about me touching you but not that shit you're about to put in your body?"

"It's none of your concern. Leave me alone."

"No! Give me the baggie, and I'll let you go." I can see the irritation in her eyes, and she clutches the bag in her palm.

"Adelaide, move out of my way." She tries to get past me but I move in the same direction blocking her. "Move." I shake my head and move again to the other side when she does.

"No, give it here." I try to reach for the bag to get it out of her hands, but her grip is too tight. I pause for a moment before doing the only thing I can think of to get it away from her.

I lean forward and crash my lips onto hers. She is shocked at first but gives in to the kiss. Both my hands find the back of her neck, pulling her deeper into me. My tongue runs across her bottom lip I've been eyeing all night, as she parts them for more access. Deepening our kiss, I explored further into the depths of her mouth. Our tongues danced around each other as fireworks erupted in my lower belly from all the emotions I was experiencing for my first time.

Though her lips against mine are utterly intoxicating, I can't forget what my goal was when kissing her. I let my hand travel from her neck to her fingertips. Thankfully, the makeout session made her relax her grip on the drugs, so I snatch it and hurriedly pull away.

She looks at me, pissed and panting. "What the hell Adelaide?"

"I'm sorry, but I had to get it away from you. I can't let you do this," I say sadly, hoping she'd understand.

"Okay? But you used my feelings for you against me? How low can you get?" Her voice cracked. My chest begins to cave in, knowing she's right.

"I'm sorry Macy, I didn't know you had feelings for me, or I wouldn't have done it." Shit, I mentally face palmed myself for saying the last part. She looks at me with rage bawling her fist in a ball. "Macy, I didn't mean it like that..."

"Don't Adelaide! You do not get to drop me as your best friend once we get to high school and then try to weasel your way back into my life! You left me! You were everything to me, and you left me at a time when I needed you the most! You do not get to stroll your way in here and tell me how to live my already fucked up life." Her words hit me like a thousand knives cutting into my flesh, and tears began to form in my eyes. "No, Addy! You don't get to cry! Your life is perfect, remember? Everyone loves you and treats you like a decent human being. So wipe your tears away and give me my shit because I need it."

"I can't Mays." My voice fractures as tears fall down my cheeks.

"Adelaide, this is not a negotiation!" She stops as if she wants to continue, but the words won't leave her tongue.

"Why not? Why do you need it so bad? This will ruin your life Mays," I plead. She sighs and shakes her head, and it looks as if a few of her walls break down.

"It already has Addy," She whispers vulnerably. At that moment, I saw what I didn't see before. I see how damaged she became after our friendship ended, and I'm pissed at myself for letting that happen.

If she is addicted to this stuff, that means that she needs it not to go into withdrawal. I don't know if she is planning on detoxing anytime soon, but I need her to. I can't have her living like this. I don't want her to be an addict. I regret my decision to ever pull away from her. I need her in my life. I always have, but I was too afraid to admit it.

"If I give you this..." I start, as I look into her eyes with all seriousness, "this will be your last. You will detox and get this shit out of your system. You are no longer staying at that house because, by the looks of it, whoever 'he' is, is your connection for getting this shit. No actual parent would allow their child to go down this road."

"And where the hell will I go, Adelaide?"

"You can move in with me. My parents will understand. We have a guest room you can stay in, and I'll have them bring in a specialist to help you."

She starts laughing, and I'm confused as to why. "You think that you can just barge into my life waving around your fancy house and fancy doctors, and I'll just go with you. This is an addiction, Adelaide. This shit doesn't just go away overnight."

"Then... I will be with you every step of the way Macy." I watch as her walls build back up.

"Stop acting like you care!" She screams at me, her face turning red. I'm taken aback, but I won't let her push me away.

"I do care Macy. I have always cared. Please, just let me help you."

Her face softens, and she shakes her head. Putting her hand out for me to give back the baggie. I look at her, questioning if she's going to agree.

"No." She snatches the baggie from my palm. "I don't need your help." her shoulder hits mine as she pushes past me out of the bedroom.

I'm left there staring into space and groaning to myself. I realized that the boathouse has docked, so I grab Gina from sucking faces with the cheerleader. "Hey! Where are we going?" She pouts drunkenly.

"Home," I say, dragging her along.

"But but but..." She pleads and stumbles over her own two feet.

"That girl has slept with half the football and basketball team. I'm saving your ass."