06- "Shit, am I in love?"

From across the couch, his mother was staring at him

From across the couch, his mother was staring at him. It was more of a scrutiny, and he didn't know how to feel about it other than uneasy. When it became too much for him, he asked, "Mom, why do you look like you want to dissect me?"

"A-Yi, please come next to me." She spoke up. Her voice was undeniably pleasant and soothing. He nodded, easily standing and sitting next to her. His mother wrapped a comforting arm around him as he leaned into her.

"What is it, mom?" he asked, tilting his chin to look her in the eyes. She nudged his nose with her finger as she smiled.

"How's Xiao Zhan?" she inquired, amusement visible in both her voice and her eyes.

"He's fantastic. I miss him." He looked at her with a doleful pout on his face. She laughed. "You almost always spend the nights at his place. You were just at his house two days ago, A-Yi."

"I understand, but I still miss him. Is it just me who wants to spend all of my time with him? I'm curious if he feels the same way, or do you think I'm bothering him, mom?" As he rested his head on her shoulder, he spoke his thoughts innocently and truthfully.

"He misses you as well, Yibo. I'm certain of it. How long have you known him?" she ruffled his hair tenderly.

"It's been more than two months, mom. I still have the impression that I met him only yesterday. Jeez, mom, I swear he's a lovely addiction. When he's around, it's difficult to think about anything else. Oh, and mom-" he drew back to look at her.

"What exactly is it?"

"I'm going out to dinner with him today." He jumped a little, joy erupting from his aura.

"I know, A-Zhan called me the day before." She responded, and was taken aback when his mood soured. "What's the matter, A-Yi?"

"He only told me about it this morning. Why did he tell you that before?" he yelled, crossing his arms across his chest.

His mother laughed; her head cocked. He looked at her, tears welling up in his acorn-shaped eyes.

"A-Zhan asked if he could take you a little further out of town, A-Yi. He couldn't tell you if I said no before, could he?"

Yibo continued to stare at her in a childlike manner. "Are you envious, Yibo?" Yibo opened his mouth and blinked. "I-what? Why should I be jealous?"

"You were upset because he notified me about it before you. Please enlighten me if that isn't jealousy." With a raised brow, she stated. Yibo exhaled a sigh. He sometimes forgets how much he and his mother resemble each other.

"Fine! So what if I'm jealous?"

"Why are you jealous, Yibo? Even your friends called me before he spoke to you, but you were unfazed. What's the matter now?" She inquired almost thoughtfully.

Yibo's breathing skipped for a moment. 'It can't be. He couldn't be, could he?' Even to himself, that sounded insincere.

"Shit, am I in love?" he exclaimed, his eyes as big as saucers on his mother.