Chapter 1: Threaten Me I'll Threaten You.

Chapter 1 - Threaten Me I'll Threaten You.

*Juliet's POV*
"7:24," I muttered to myself feeling the rising sun on my back as I glanced up at my father's grandfather clock as it stood proudly against the wall in the living room, "I'm going to be late."

I ran about the living room trying to find my other boot when I saw Hayley was carrying it towards me in her mouth as I grinned before taking it and violently pushing my foot into it. If you were wondering, Hayley is my pet dog and a great friend. She always knows when something's up and tries to help as best as she can. I smile at her again before petting her head and standing up only to realize I was, in fact, late to meet with Will, again. Bugger I thought, Will isn't going to be happy with me.

Scrabbling to the front door I heard my father call out before I could run out and try and get to the Smith's shop. "Julie! You're forgetting something!" I looked at him before seeing he was holding up my sword and smiling, "Honestly, I don't know how you forgot this." He said with a chuckle as I was clearly frustrated knowing I would be late for Will to continue teaching me how to defend myself.

It was my father's idea that I was to be taught how to handle a sword and knife just in case I was in a dangerous situation, which I doubt would happen, and I needed to defend myself. Will and myself are best friends since Mr Brown, the owner of the shop, and my father are close friends with each other. Ever since my mother passed away my father decided to lower her rule standards of being a proper lady and instead has shown me the basics of how to use a sword and allowed me to wear men's clothes as it seemed impractical to wear a dress when I did not need to, however I still had to wear formal dresses out whenever we were meeting a family or they were invited into our home, that or we were going to a special occasion.

"I'll see you around about 10 father," I said before kissing his cheek grabbing my sword and running out the front door through the long drive to our house, into the streets and all the way to Smith's shop.

***

"Sorry I'm late Will, I woke up late and I couldn't find my other boot until Hayley found it for me." I said while entering the workplace. Will just chuckled, "it's fine Jay, I didn't expect you to be early." He said while walking over to me and embraced me into a friendly hug. Jay is my nickname from him, it's simpler than saying Juliet all the time. "You hardly are anyway." I heard him say after letting go of me. "Now that's a lie, I am early for some things. For instance I'm going to be early getting home because of Norrington's promotion. Father expects me to be back by 10 so I can clean myself up for the ceremony at noon." I explained as I unsheathed my sword, "Ah, James.'" Will spoke, "he's asking Elizabeth's hand in marriage isn't he."

I saw a pang of sorrow while asking. It was true, Will had fallen in love with Elizabeth but he didn't want to tell her in case it would ruin their friendship. After the pirate attack when Will was 11 he was found floating in the sea by Elizabeth. Ever since then they had been best friends despite the social clash as Elizabeth was Governor Weatherby's daughter and Will was an orphan taken in by Mr Brown to become his apprentice.

I gave a sorry smile at him and nodded, "I'm afraid so Will." I saw him inwardly sigh, it was such a horrible mess to see him like this. "Its fine, she is basically royalty and I'm a simple blacksmith." He said before unsheathed his sword also. "Well let's get back to business shall we?" I smiled and nodded, agreeing with him as I started to practice my footwork and sword fighting skills.

***

I smiled, panting I wiped off the sweat and dirt that had built up on my forehead with my sleave. "And I believe that's the end of the practice," Will smiled also wiping his brow, glancing at the clock.
It was 9:30, giving us enough time to cool ourselves down and for me to head home. "Thank you Will," I smiled sheathing my sword in its case and headed to the door. "Its my pleasure to teach you Jay." He smiled, regulating his breathing again. I looked round at him and smiled before opening the door, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then." He nodded while going to the other door, "Indeed we will." He smiled at me, "Bye Will." I said and walked out back into the street and headed home.