Chapter 3 : Prefects Selection

Life at school was the same as always for the next few weeks. April had came and the students were busy studying hard for their mid year examinations in May. Luna and Joanne were in the library. They were finishing up their homework given by the teachers.

Joanne had a tiny stack of books next to her on the table. Luna was on her laptop, typing away the assignment given while listening to music through the headphones plugged in. They didn't speak a word to each other since they arrived.

There were other students too who were there studying or finishing up their homework. To some students, they were surprise to see Chloe sitting in the library finishing her homework. It was surprising as she was one of the detention students.

All the other students always assumed the detention students would not do the homework or study at all. They were known as troublemakers and rebels of the school although the reality was they were not that bad.

Luna finished up typing the last line of her assignment before saving it. She shut the laptop down and carefully closed the lid. She looked up and saw Joanne, who was sitting opposite her still focusing on her book. 'Such a bookworm.'

Suddenly, a static could be heard through the speakers in the library. "Good evening, students. Attention to all students from grade 8 and above, to those who are interested in becoming a school prefect, please come down to Classroom 10 to get a Prefects Form. Thank you."

It was an announcement. After the announcement ended, Joanne lifted her head and looked at Luna. She closed her book and placed it on the stack of books. "I'm going," said Joanne as she stood up.

"Hold on. I'm also going. I want to take the form too," said Luna as she packed her things into her bag. Joanne just gave a nod and waited for Luna. The both of them made their way out of the library and walked to Classroom 10.

As they reached there, they didn't see many students who were lining up. They stood in the short queue and waited their turn. It didn't take long before they entered Classroom 10. The discipline teacher had a stack of the form and was on the computer.

Joanne was ahead of Luna. "Name?" asked the teacher as she looked at Joanne.

"Joanne. Grade 9," she replied politely. The teacher typed in something in the computer. They weren't able to see but they had a feeling the teacher was checking their records. After a few minutes, the teacher took one of the form and handed it to Joanne.

"Fill it in and hand it over by the end of the week to me," said the teacher. Joanne nodded and gave a small thank you before exiting the classroom. Luna stepped forward and went through the same procedure.

Luna walked out of the classroom with the form in her hands. She read through it and started to think about how it would feel becoming a prefect. Luna looked around for Joanne only to find nobody near her. Joanne had already went back to the library.

Luna decided not to go back to the library and decided to go back to her room. Classes were over for that day and she wanted to relax a bit. She made her way to the dormitories and towards her room. As usual, she insert the key and unlocked the door.

She walked in and closed the door behind her. Luna took of her shoes and placed her bag down on the chair. She kept her eyes on the form. She read it again and again. Luna had always wanted to become a prefect. Luna could have been a prefect in her second year if it was not to a miscommunication about how to become one.

The form was simple. All they asked for was the candidate's name, grade, age and the list of clubs joined. Luna reread again the form before grabbing a pen to fill the form up. She was very careful at filling the form up. She could not have any mistake as she couldn't loose this opportunity.

It was the first time the school openly announce about the prefects selection. Normally, the teachers would announce the chosen candidates' name and call them to take the form.

After filling the form up, Luna reread again the form to make sure every piece of information were correct. She placed the completed form at the side of her study desk. She was about to do something else but then she thought about something.

'Teacher said to send it back to her by then end of the week. Might as well send it today. Now.' Without giving a second thought, Luna took the filled up form and went to Classroom 10. By the time she reached there, the last student who was taking her form was already about to leave.

Luna entered the classroom and met the teacher again. "Name?" asked the teacher without looking up from her computer.

"I'm actually here to submit the form," said Luna as she handed the form over. The teacher was taken a back by Luna's action.

"Oh ... that was fast," said the teacher taking the form. "You may leave. I will process your application." Luna said her thanks and left. She went back to the dormitories and to her room.

'At least I don't have to stress about it.' She removed her bag from the chair and sat on the chair. Luna had already finished her homework and did some studying for the examinations. She started to feel a little bored. The clock on the desk showed the time was 4.30 in the evening.

'I think I'll just watch some YouTube videos.' Luna pulled out her laptop and set it up on her desk. She plugged it for charging and started it up. The computer displayed the opening logo before switching to her desktop. Luna looked at the desktop for awhile before opening a web browser and connecting to the school's Wi-fi.

She clicked on the shortcut to the YouTube page. It opened up and displayed the videos recommended to her. She started to scroll through looking at the videos. She clicked on some and spent most of her free time watching them.

It didn't feel like such a long time but time did pass. The clock showed it was already 7. Luna clicked the cross button and exited all the tabs she opened. She shut her laptop down before leaving her room to go to the cafeteria.

Once there, she grabbed her dinner and found Joanne who was already eating dinner. She went and sat at the table as her. "Hey~ why didn't you call me?" Luna asked giving a little sad face. Joanne only lifted her face and stared at her. Luna felt awkward and dismissed the conversation she tried to start.

The two of them didn't say a word and just ate in silence. Other students started to show up and had their dinner. Joanne finished her food and left Luna alone without saying a word. Luna didn't say anything and just kept on eating. She was already used to this kind of behavior.

After dinner, Luna went back to her room and took a bath. She slipped into her night clothes and decided to pack up her things for the next day.