Wake up, Ivan

You, Me, and the shadow chapter fifty-five

Russian in Italic

DPOV

What the hell has gotten into her. One minute she is fine, or as fine as you can get when you're dealing with mass casualties, and the next, she is jumping out of bed and running from the room.

I can't find anything through our bond to explain it, but I know that she is hiding something from me. I felt it as soon as she put up the block on the battlefield.

Whatever happened when she shielded our bond is completely blocked from me, and I don't know why.

In a normal relationship, having complete, unrevoked access to your partner's mind would be out of the question, but it's completely normal for us. It feels unnatural when things are hidden, so it's only done when absolutely necessary, which tells me that whatever happened, it was big.

Chasing her out of the room and down the corridor, I try to call out to her, but she doesn't respond. She just keeps running until she reaches the Bay two infirmary doors, where she proceeds to burst in without question.

Speeding up as the other's follow, I make it to the door she disappeared into, and I watch as she makes her way through the curtained off beds as if she is looking for someone.

"Roza? Who are you looking for?" I ask as I make my way slowly into the room. She doesn't respond except for looking back at me with sincerity in her eyes as she continues searching.

Who could she be looking for? Our whole family is accounted for. The guardians she grew up with are alive and well. And she didn't have a particularly close relationship with anyone else. So who could receive this kind of response?

Watching as she opens curtain after curtain in a hurry, I follow her slowly, just watching with curiosity, until she opens one particular cubicle and freezes with her hand remaining on the light fabric as she stares into the small area in relief.

"Roza?" I try again, moving closer to her, but still unable to see behind the curtain.

"I'm sorry for blocking you, and I'm sorry for hiding it, but I didn't know if it would work, and when it did, I didn't want you to get distracted. But I promised him. I promised I would go back for him." Her eyes remain on whoever is in the bed behind the curtain as she speaks to me.

"You didn't know what would work? What are you talking about, Milaya?" I watch as she takes a deep breath, she looks at me, a slight smile on her face as she slides the curtain open further. "I brought him back for you." I look at her, confused as I step forward to see for myself, and then my whole body freezes, and my knees buckle.

"Ivan?"

RPOV

"Ivan?" I hear Dimitri gasp as I watch him fall to the floor on his knees. He doesn't move; he just kneels there, staring at Ivan, who is lying in bed, looking very much alive. The wound on his chest had healed thanks to the spirit I washed over him when I removed the stake, and the colour has returned to his cheeks.

Stepping closer, I see that the whiteboard above his bed simply states, 'John Doe. South Field. Stats good', so I cast my eyes back down on the man himself. The compulsion is still active, but I don't want to break it until Dimitri is ready.

"Comrade? Please say something. I still have him under, but whenever you're ready, so is he." I say gently, watching Dimitri as he continues to stare in disbelief. Slipping into his mind, I see him play out memory after memory of his time with Ivan. Memories of them laughing, joking, drinking, playing games. Everything is flying past as if it's on a loop, and then the memory of Ivan's funeral hits and all the emotions that came with it.